Ribble Endurance SL Winter Bike

It's been about a year since I sold my car and now with the eldest child starting school, I'll be commuting to work every day by bike.

Current winter bike is a S-Works Tarmac SL2 from 2009. Fitted with Cero AR30 wheels, Ultegra 6800 and some raceblade long mudguards.

Being an older S-Works it's very stiff and not very compliant, so I find it fairly uncomfortable (position wise is fine).

So decided that I want a different bike. My main dilemma was finding something suitable. I wanted discs, proper mudguard mounts and a racey geometry (minimum 105 but preferably Ultegra)

The only bike that I could find that was a reasonable price was the Ribble Endurance SL, so started looking for one.

Came across a few but all were too far to collect or unable to ship, until I came across a London based seller who had a few.
Spent a couple of days speaking with him on Facebook and eventually came to a deal on this one. Wasn't my first choice for colour but that's not a deal breaker so I ended up buying:

Endurance SL Disc (Medium)
Mavic aksium wheelset & 28mm Ultrasport tyres
Ultegra R8020 Groupset (52/36 & 11-30), the rear mech came with oversized pulley wheels too
Gold KMC chain
Level 3 handlebars
70mm zipp stem
Elite "aero" bottle
140 & 160mm Dura Ace rotors (brand new)

All for £1650

Plans are to get it to a suitable state for commuting with some decent upgrades.

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Current plans for upgrades are

Vel 3850 wheels to fit (38mm front, 50mm rear)
    - Conti 4 seasons 28mm
    - 11-28 cassette and short cage rear mech
    - new Dura ace disc rotors + new pads
    - S-Works Tarmac SL7 stem + wahoo mount (allows fully integrated cables but 2 piece bar stem combo)
    - Portland design work mudguards
    - S-Works power saddle
    - New gear cables
    - custom headset spacer/cover to adapt the SL7 stem to the Ribble frame.
    And probably a few other small bits

It needs a decent clean and service (hence the cables and discs/pads etc)
  • dannbodge
    edited March 2023
    Double post
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Cracking deal you got there.

Not that keen on the colour either - clearly someone going mental with the custom colours - but with the deeper wheels, longer stem and even the PDW guards it will balance it all out nicely.
  • dannbodge

Cracking deal you got there.

Not that keen on the colour either - clearly someone going mental with the custom colours - but with the deeper wheels, longer stem and even the PDW guards it will balance it all out nicely.

Yeah hopefully.
    I'm not sure it's a Ribble paintjob but it's a lot nicer in the flesh. It wouldn't be my first choice but the deal was good.
  • dannbodge
    Forgot I'd made this.
    Will update later as the bike is now all but finished, just got the rear mudguard to sort out.

Have ridden it to work a couple of times and it's been great. Shame it's so bloody heavy though
  • dannbodge
    So after all bits arrived I got on with the upgrades

Aksiums and Ultegra rotors removed and VEL 3850 wheels and Dura ace discs added.
    Went from 140/140 discs to 160/140 (because that's what I thought were fitted when I bought it)

Removed the zipp stem and prologo saddle and added a spare stem and my Specialized Power saddle temporarily to get an idea of position

Then my tyres turned up (GP4seasons 28mm) so got those fitted

And it's starting to look like a bike again haha
  • dannbodge
    Then my Specialized SL7 stem and spacer pack arrived so I got to making an adapter.
    First revision worked well but I didn't like the back end as it was too chunky

So a quick redesign and I had this

Also chopped the steerer to its final length, ended up removing about 50mm of it.

Then the fun starts with the internal routing, was a bit of a pain but not too difficult

• dannbodge
    Then got the bars wrapped (Prime race - Feels very similar to supacaz) and rode it to work. Saddle was too high and too far forward so sorted that the next night.

• dannbodge
    Got the Tarmac SL7 outfront mount fitted and then CAD'd up a front light mount for it.

And then got the PDW mudguards fitted
    Instead of using the ribble bridge mount, a couple of cable ties and some fettling and the 28mms fit beautifully.

Now it's going on the turbo and the summer bike is coming out.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    dannbodge said:

Forgot I'd made this.
    Will update later as the bike is now all but finished, just got the rear mudguard to sort out.

Have ridden it to work a couple of times and it's been great. Shame it's so bloody heavy though

How much does it weigh.
  • dannbodge
    webboo said:

dannbodge said:

Forgot I'd made this.

How much does it weigh.
    With the saddle bag, power meter pedals and wahoo bolt on it, it was 9kg exactly.
    Add the mudguards and it'll be 9.5kg

I don't do a lot of climbing now (300m over 30km commute) so not too worried about it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It looks like it should be much lighter. Obviously discs add to the weight but where is the rest of the weight coming from.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Excellent work, looks heaps better.

Very impressed with your custom top cap.

But please - if you can do that, you can do a custom rear mudguard bridge. I know of several potential customers (myself included) if you can crack it!
  • dannbodge
    webboo said:

It looks like it should be much lighter. Obviously discs add to the weight but where is the rest of the weight coming from.

The frame is 1.1kg and the fork is 500g and the seatpost 180g which is the main weight.
    Wheels are 1600g
    Mudguards are 400/500g apparently
  • dannbodge

Excellent work, looks heaps better.

Very impressed with your custom top cap.

But please - if you can do that, you can do a custom rear mudguard bridge. I know of several potential customers (myself included) if you can crack it!

I've got one being delivered so I can match the seatstay angles but I am planning on getting something designed
  • dannbodge
    So I bought the Endurance SLe mudguard bridge and I think it's sorted the mudguards. Think it might need to be a little bit higher and needs something to grip the guards but seems okay.

It's not as high as when I had cable ties but seems okay.

I'm not sure if it's different to the normal SL mount as it's listed differently