New Chain That Is Already Greased.

Every time I buy a new chain, take the chain out of the box and install it. It is covered in grease. Or some colourless and sticky substance. What is that exactly?

After I installed the chain, I can go straight away. The grease acts like a lubricant so I feel I do not need to apply my usual lubricant.

What is the name of that grease? I like to buy some and use it instead of the lubricant I always use. That grease is good, doesn't seem to get washed off in the rain nor collects dirt. Riding and shifting gears feels smooth too.

Cheers.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    It's shipping grease. It isn't very good as a chain lube. It is there to protect the chain between manufacture and end use.
  • It's factory grease and it's best kept on as you get a few 100 Miles out of it i have read its applied under pressure .Never seen its name anywhere .
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951
    edited March 2023
    It is usually packing grease to prevent rust, but it does depend on the chain. Sram chains are dipped in Gleitmo which is a heavy duty industrial lubricant. People get tempted to strip this from the chain as it is very tacky to touch. Keep this on the chain as it will last ages and you don't need to relube the chain whilst it is on.

As far as I know, you can't buy this for home use, it is just sold in commercial quantities.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126
    as above it's protectant rather than a good lubricant

tests show if you strip it and use a wax/similar lube, it'll be more efficient, run very clean and extend chain and cassette life

downside is that wax requires more time and/or cost, and often doesn't give much protection against corrosion

if you're not fussed about the extra drag/wear/dirt, leave as it is for now and just put a bit of oil on it every now and then
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thank you guys.