Race vs. Endurance Bike

Hello, I am new to the forum and need some advise.

For 9 years I was riding a 2014 Focus Cayo Evo, but now it is finally time to upgrade and treat myself with a new bike. There are three bikes I really like, but I am not sure if these would suit my needs. I want to have a more comfortable riding position compared to the Focus Cayo and plan for some longer tours.

1. Scott Addict 10
2. Cannondale Supersix Evo with 105Di2
3. Canyon Endurace with Sram eTap

I get the Cannondale for only €300 more than the others, but with much better wheels. Unfortunately a test ride is not possible.
I really like the looks of the Cannondale but do you think there is such a big difference in geometry and comfort between these bikes? But it should be still much more comfortable than the Focus, right?
Would be great if you could share some experience and advise. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Worth having a read of this thread from a few day ago, as it probably addresses most of the issues you are raising...

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13119924/moving-from-endurance-to-performance-bike#latest
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    I'm generally lost at comparing bike geometry, endurance vs performance.

Bear in mind that even after purchase you can still do plenty of adjustments.
    Stem length, spacers, seat height, seat forward/backward.
    So unless the difference in frame geometry are huge (and they probably arent'), you can make any bike a 100% perfect fit.

Or am I wrong?

Having said that, the comfort/performance distinction never crossed my head before 2006 when I bought my first Synapse. Just tried a few until found one that felt abs. perfect. So perfect that 16yr later when I wanted to upgrade I simple bought the newer version of "the same" bike, didn't bother trying any other. Meanwhile frame geometry had changed some mm, somehow still perfect though.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    maybe this is useful:
    https://geometrygeeks.bike/
  • carl845
    carl845 Posts: 14
    My advice is to go and have a bike fit and see what they recommend.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Stack/reach ratio is a decent rough guide to how racy the geometry of a bike is likely to be. Divide stack by reach and you'll get a number, usually between 1.40 and 1.60 or thereabouts.

The lower the number, the more "race" the geometry is likely to be, ie lower and longer.

Something around 1.45 would be fairly typical for a modern race bike. 1.50 and upwards is getting more into the endurance end of things.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    pep.fermi said:

So unless the difference in frame geometry are huge (and they probably arent'), you can make any bike a 100% perfect fit.

Or am I wrong .

There is more adjustment room if the frame is too small.
    Too big can be a problem.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    The Scott Addict (Assuming it is not the RC model?) is the endurance bike of the Scott range now, that should have a pretty high front end.

The biggest difference (Assuming it fits you ok) in comfort I think you will notice, is that your 2014 Focus likely came with 23mm or 25mm tyres at most, with likely no additional clearance for anything wider, where as something like the Scott Addict will probably come fitted with 32s, with room for a bit wider - the extra comfort they will provide, due to the lower pressure required is very noticable.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    I went from a Focus Cayo Evo 2014 to a Supersix Evo ( the second iteration) which is generally considered to be a ‘ racier ‘ bike than the Evo. Had no problems at all, but think this is down to getting the correct frame size and bike fit. I loved my Cayo and love my SuperSix too!
    You say you can’t test ride the Cannondale, but at the very very least take your full kit , sit on it and get a bike fit to make sure it’s the right size. I went from a size large 57cm Cayo frame to a 56cm Supersix frame, but tried the 58cm frame too before final decision ( but again this was the 2nd iteration) not the third… or indeed the very latest 4th version!
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    pep.fermi said:

Nope I completely agree with this.

It's generally all marketing stuff to sell bikes.

The only thing you may find is that "race" bikes have shorter headtubes, chainstays and wheelbase to make them feel more nimble.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Unless you're racing, then Endurance. They're not slow bikes despite what the naysers say. And get a bike fit......
    It's interesting to watch a YouTube video, and the fitter reckons too many people are on too bigsized bikes.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    my two pennies worth....
    Had a 2018 SuperSix, sold it and bought a 2022 Synapse. The new bike is no more comfortable, is heavier and is not as much fun. It also has unnecessary gadgets that add weight and faff. I would rather get another race bike and pay for a fit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    andyrac said:

Unless you're racing, then Endurance.

Unless you're talking about track sprinting (ie longest event being the keirin, which is typically run over 6 laps of a 250m track), then racing IS endurance.