Trek Domane Tyres & Wheels

Hi,

Recently got a Domane SL5. I've never ridden with 32's and was wondering what would be a good quality narrower tyre but I still want good comfort.

Also my first upgrade will probably be wheels wondering what would suit this bike and save some weight.

Thanks.

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I would stick with 32's to, at least, see if I liked them. I would certainly not go below 28. So that leaves 30 mm as the only other size left.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    SAW77 said:

Hi,

Recently got a Domane SL5. I've never ridden with 32's and was wondering what would be a good quality narrower tyre but I still want good comfort.

Also my first upgrade will probably be wheels wondering what would suit this bike and save some weight.

Thanks.

Narrower tyres are unlikely to promote 'good comfort' compared to what you already have. If your priority is comfort, then stick with 32s and adjust pressure to suit.

The best wheels for the bike are most likely the ones you already have - unless you want to change them for aesthetic purposes, in which case just choose a set within your budget that you like the look of. Saving fractions from the weight is unlikely to make any real-world difference to your riding - but if you do want to improve your riding experience, then switching to a folding bead 30 or 32mm tyre would be my first choice.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    The R3 Hard-case lite TLR (bloody mouthful) that, according to Trek, come with the Gen4 Domane SL5 are already folding, Thank god. Otherwise, yeah, swap them for a high-tpi tyre. GP5000's, Michelin Power Cup TLR's, the better Vittoria Corsa's...

Anyway, here's a test of those:
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/bontrager-r3-hard-case-lite-tlr

Not great, but not dreadful either. Surprisingly, given the stuff one finds in bikes these days.
  • SAW77
    SAW77 Posts: 2
    Thanks all.

I was just thinking of changing the wheels for aesthetics and maybe save a little weight.
  • Other than ease to change tyre what's the benefit of folding against non...weight?