Wahoo Bolt v2 - now that they've had some problems

2»

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    What is the water and touch screen issue? My old Garmin with a touchscreen worked fine when wet
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I had the opposite with my old Garmin 705. The screen would work as touchscreen when wet. Most weird!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,149
    The older Garmins had resistive touchscreens which worked exactly the same wet or dry i.e. not that well. Newer ones have capacitive, which feel much nicer to use in the dry but can suffer from phantom presses in the wet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

The older Garmins had resistive touchscreens which worked exactly the same wet or dry i.e. not that well. Newer ones have capacitive, which feel much nicer to use in the dry but can suffer from phantom presses in the wet.

You missed my point.
    The 705 was not a touchscreen.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    Mine was the 800 and the touchscreen worked fine. The only reason I moved to the 530 when it needed updating was that mapping and colour maps were on the 530 and that's all I needed, so no need to pay more for the 830. No idea what sort of screen the 800 had though.
  • After being woken up when our electric came back on after a failure on the street around 2000, I nearly bought an Edge 530 from Amazon for £180, as it was still on sale.

But then I read Climb Pro is improving on the incoming Edge 540 and 840 and will be predictive as you ride, rather than needing a preset route.

Having given up Strava premium recently, I still need to find out if Garmin Connect offers more than the crude features on the Lezyne GPS Root site and app, as the Mega XL (misplaced on train six months ago) can be had at Merlin for £143 with loyalty voucher code.

But given I've just had another fitness setback with my six months of long covid, with lingering leg and lung issues after a head cold that only gave me the sniffles 13th-17th Mar inclusive, I'm back wondering how realistic it is that I can do my usual 20-70 loops from home across a handful of little South Downs hills this year.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Well I finally bought the bolt v2 bundle. Arriving later this week. Exciting.

I've not had a bike computer for 14 years, let alone a cadence and heart-rate monitor.

Hoping the latter might be mildly helpful to measure effort/fatigue etc.
  • I have had the bolt for the last few years, easy to set up and works fine.

The app can get a bit annoying when they upgrade as there is, on rare occasions, some glitch that appears which usually takes them a few weeks to iron out.

The HR monitor works fine, although on occasion I have found it does struggle to sync with the bolt itself (again, this is rare). Not used the cadence sensor as I have a PM so it isn't required.

One thing to note is the stem mount. The regular mount that sits directly on the stem does seem to have an effect of the sensor and mine results in metres climbed being recorded too low (I started a thread on this a while back). If you use the out front 'aero' mount this does not seem to be an issue. Just something to bear in mind if, like me, you are mildly obsessed with metres climbed!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Over an Edge 530?
  • plymouthsteve
    plymouthsteve Posts: 136
    Always had garmin and bought the bolt v1 a couple years ago.
    Love it and the companion app.
    Had a small issue and they replaced it with a v2 without any quibbling. There are definite improvements with the v2, especially now that the climbing assistant has been added for free.. at last a good use for all that colour.
    Don't want to add any negative comments here given my experience, but.. the v2 uses a different font for the numbers and to my eyes its much harder to read. May just be me.. I am ageing. With all of the technology it would be perfect if you could choose a different font.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631

Don't want to add any negative comments here given my experience, but.. the v2 uses a different font for the numbers and to my eyes its much harder to read. May just be me.. I am ageing. With all of the technology it would be perfect if you could choose a different font.

I changed from the Bolt V1 to V2 and also noticed the font change.
    The V1 was bigger but not as sharp and I think the size helped me.
    I've had the V2 for quite a while now and have got used to the font.
    Its definitely sharper - probably more pixels on the v2.
  • rick_chasey
    So first ride out with bolt v2 with speed, cadence and heart rate sensors.

Genuinely impressed tbh. I’m sure the novelty will wear off, not least as I literally haven’t even had a Speedo for 15 years, but it’s remarkable stuff.

Tried out going the wrong way and the speed at which it readjusts, and the right way too, is impressive.

Very easy to set up.

Only gets mildly behind when there’s an immediate turn on and then turn off a road but even then it’s only a few seconds behind and the map would set you straight anyway.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Did you try the new, on the fly hill climb feature?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey

Did you try the new, on the fly hill climb feature?

I did. Though I was distracted by the live Strava segment feature.

It’s pretty good. It does the most modest of rises too which is welcome around here.
  • rick_chasey
    I used the feature more last night; I didn't plot out a route, just went out for a ride.

Sure enough, when I got to the hill (singular - it's cambridge after all), the screen said "a climb, go!" and sure enough, it had the profile of the hill, and started timing automatically, plus giving me the distance to the top and the gradient.

All pretty impressive, but I am easily impressed by this stuff.

I am curious with these things, what screen default do people typically use?