Rim tape problems - Solved ☺

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 632
edited March 2023 in Road buying advice
I built some wheels using DT Swiss RR 411 rims for my rim braked bike.
These are described as 18mm internal.

I use inner tubes - I am not tubeless.

I had some cheap Lifeline rim tape from Wiggle that I fitted but had a disaster when the rim tape shifted about exposing the nipple holes and creating a hole in the tube.
The lifeline rim tape was only 15mm wide and quite thin and insubstantial.

I bought some Schwalbe 700c / 622 x 18 mm High Pressure PU Rim Tape.
This tape is quite thick and not tapered towards the edges.

I then found that this tape actually caused a depression in the inflated tyre and I could feel it on a smooth road.I checked this with a new tyre as well.  
I use Schwalbe Durano tyres and can only assume that the extra circumference caused by the non-tapered edges was distorting the tyre.
I proved this by fitting some Continental 16mm Easy Tape that I had salvaged from some old wheels and there was no depression.

So my questions are -

What rim tape should I fit?

Should I go for 18mm tape?

Will 16mm tape be ok or will it possibly move around on the rim?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I would use tubeless tape. It's thin, strong enough to protect the tubes and sticks to the rim so won't move. You generally go a few mm bigger than the internal rim width so that it can fit down into the rim bed correctly, so 20-22mm tape would probably be about right.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Or just use black electrical tape… it does the job.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • paulbnix
    I've found some Vittoria 18mm rim tape that should arrive today.

If that doesn't work I think I have been told that 19mm Tesa 4289 tubeless tape should work ok.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    slowmart said:

I've found electrical tape is a bit too stretchy and deforms into the spoke holes a lot at road bike pressures, which isn't ideal.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

slowmart said:

I've found electrical tape is a bit too stretchy and deforms into the spoke holes a lot at road bike pressures, which isn't ideal.
    This, you need a couple of passes around the rim.

It's also got adhesive on it, which can be a blessing or a curse depending on how many decades its been on there.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    Velox cloth rim tape. Tried and trusted for decades. Fit and forget.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• paulbnix

Velox cloth rim tape. Tried and trusted for decades. Fit and forget.

My other bike is disc brakes and I built some wheels using the DB versions of these rims.
    I used Velox cloth rim tape and had a disastrous incident where the end of the tape shifted sideways and punctured the sidewall of the tyre.
    It may have been user error but I'm not going there again.

• paulbnix
    I fitted the Vittoria rim tape and still had the depression in the tyre on the opposite side to the valve.

When I looked closely I could see that there looked to be a gap between the rim and the tyre bead.

I use 5 bar in my 28mm tyres so I pumped up to 8 bar and the tyre bead snapped into position.

I tried the same 8 bar on the other wheel with the thicker Schwalbe rim tape and it didn't snap in the same way so I replaced with Vittoria rim tape and all was well.

I've not had this problem with other wheels so I assume it's something to do with the internal shape of rim.

Anyway all sorted now.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I have a pair of tubless compatible wheels 17m I.D. that came with two layers of tubless tape, I use latex tubes and thought this would be O.K. Start of a ride last year the back tyre had a sudden deflation, walked back home and removed the tube and found a circular hole in two locations where the tube lay against the rim bed. That was with a max pressure of 65 p.s.i. took approx. three years to fail at those particular spoke hole locations. Replaced with velox cloth tape, never had a problem with velox. Also used self adhesive electrical tape on other wheels with good results.
  • paulbnix
    I had a rear wheel puncture yesterday and found that even with a co2 injector the tyre bead did not snap completely into the correct position so I had a bumpy ride home.

I think the next, and hopefully final, stage is to take some hand cleanser with me and spread a bit on the rim tape to ease the bead snapping into position.