Tirreno-Adriatico 2023 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    Decent finish that, tougher than I'd expected.
  • Pross
    edited March 2023
    Alaphillipe second, Yates third and TGH fourth I think.

Edit - Kelderman pipped TGH
  • Pross
    Amazing how much time WVA lost in those 3km ( realise he was just riding home but still makes you realise how quickly the front riders are going).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Roglic couldn’t design a better stage to suit his abilities.
    Alaphilippe looking more like his old self today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    Tighter sprint than I imagined but no surprises on the winner . TGH is a strong finisher, modern parcours suit him. Yeah JA is coming back as is MvdP .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    Very predictable result and style of finish by Roglic.
  • Pross
    Yates riding for UAE had me confused, I was wondering why they kept calling him 3rd when I assumed he was the Ineos rider in 4th / 5th that turned out to be TGH. I hate early season!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,972
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Wout takes out Pidcock and immediately goes over to check on him and apologise. Not sure I've ever seen that before. Pidcock seemed to come off slightly worse.

Looked like Pidcock trying to drift back through the middle of the peloton to me.
    Reaction suggested WVA felt it was his fault.

Just one of those things, I think.

Bouwman moving right as much as anything.
  • Pross
    Yeah, definitely just one of those things and Pidcock didn't seem bothered. I suspect the handshake was just WVA being aware he had touched Pidcock and brought him down (he stayed up himself at that point before getting taken down by the loose bike).
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    😳 my PTP stage decision was between Pidders and WvA... double zero there. Is why I never buy a lottery ticket. I'll enjoy that £ myself.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329
    Thought WVA went for the gap and got stuffed by his teammate either dropping back or moving out - they clip hips and WVA bounces straight across Pidcock's front wheel taking both down.

Can see why WVA apologised - ultimately it was him moving through and Pidcock was the innocent victim - but it was mostly bad luck.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472
    Crazy how Roglic makes it look that easy.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Thought WVA went for the gap and got stuffed by his teammate either dropping back or moving out - they clip hips and WVA bounces straight across Pidcock's front wheel taking both down.

Can see why WVA apologised - ultimately it was him moving through and Pidcock was the innocent victim - but it was mostly bad luck.

They are professional cyclists and the real professionals know sh!t happens.
  • kingstongraham
    Final climb today shortened by 2.1km
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,933

Poor road surface, landslide or something?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    daniel_b said:

Poor road surface, landslide or something?
    High winds.

• blazing_saddles
    And in respect of the weather, Kirby is at his pessimistic worst.
    Forecasts no pictures due to it being a bit cloudy.
    Ffs this sport is becoming another casualty of the new world order.
  • blazing_saddles
    It’s less Carlton Kirby, more Carol Kirkwood.
    A three hour monologue about the weather with a bit of a bike race going on in the background.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    Possibly controversial but Kirby’s joke about playing a round of par golf yesterday that turned out to be mini golf, tickled me.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kingstongraham
    Again, a bunch sprint on a mountain, and Kirby pretends anyone else is going to win other than Roglic.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,580
    Roglic tried for about 50 metres and won. Looked quite easily.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles

Again, a bunch sprint on a mountain, and Kirby pretends anyone else is going to win other than Roglic.

Impressive wasn’t it?
    Talking up a 20 man slow motion bunch sprint, after a climb which ended up 2kms longer due to them weaving all over the road.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329
    seanoconn said:

Possibly controversial but Kirby’s joke about playing a round of par golf yesterday that turned out to be mini golf, tickled me.

I appreciate somebody with the courage of their convictions.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,517
    Kirby was convinced Caruso had it with 2 kms to go. No-one else was.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,580
    Another win for Mr Exciting.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    TGH in second. Another typical Roglic finish.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought when Mas moved to right in the sprint and Roglic jumped and followed and nearly took out Tao, he clearly had no idea or thought about others around him. Which puts his crash where he blamed Fred Wright in to perspective. He moves on instinct which might explain why he crashes a lot.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    edited March 2023
    Class interview by TGH afterwards where he just said he was beaten by the best rider. No mention that he was chopped up and would have probably/possibly knicked the win. He looked gutted.,
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472
    He was definitely chopped. He would also at best win 1 of 100 such finishes against Roglic.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    m.r.m. said:

He was definitely chopped. He would also at best win 1 of 100 such finishes against Roglic.

Yeah agreed. I reckon today was the one though.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner