Shoes - time to buy

So now is the time to go ahead and choose some shoes to replace the giro pair the dog destroyed.

Current shortlist is not a very long shortlist. Basically, fizik r5 overcurve shoes. £99 at wiggle in a full range of colours, £75 on sports pursuit in black or white; so my choice there would be white as I’m not a fan of fully black shoes. Anyone got them? How do they fit? Any issue with cleat placement (I read a review that said that was a problem)? Decent alternatives? Not worried about super stiff carbon soles, happy to have carbon reinforced nylon.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Merlin have black/fluro yellow option for 95. Just up your street.

I tried a shed-load of shoes late season last year and found big differences even across the Fizik range. For reference I'm a 42 (8) in street shoes. I've seen quite a few threads suggesting Fizik are true to size, but that wasn't my experience. I tried R3, R4 and a couple of different R5s. Mostly I'd say go half size up. However, even then I found the Powerstraps really voluminous, the Tempos still too big in the forefoot and probably over the arch. R4s I don't think they had the right length available and ended up settling on the R3s in a 42.5, which are snug but hopefully have enough space and adjustability through the dual fasteners to have room to wiggle without getting loose.

I've been using Mavics for years in 43 1/3. I've just bought some Cosmic Boas in the same size and they were far too long. I've sold those on and picked up another pair in 42 2/3, and they're a bit tight with 'normal' socks on. They're intended for use on the trainer so don't need day long comfort so they should be fine, especially if the tops soften up. Just shows what a nightmare it is picking shoes, even staying within the same brand.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    johngti said:

Anyone got them? How do they fit?

You can't asses shoe fit on how they may or may not fit other people. What matters is how they fit your feet. You need to try them on. Remember don't size up narrow shoes to fit the width of your feet. Get wider shoes of the correct length.

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    me-109 said:

Merlin have black/fluro yellow option for 95. Just up your street.

I tried a shed-load of shoes late season last year and found big differences even across the Fizik range. For reference I'm a 42 (8) in street shoes. I've seen quite a few threads suggesting Fizik are true to size, but that wasn't my experience. I tried R3, R4 and a couple of different R5s. Mostly I'd say go half size up. However, even then I found the Powerstraps really voluminous, the Tempos still too big in the forefoot and probably over the arch. R4s I don't think they had the right length available and ended up settling on the R3s in a 42.5, which are snug but hopefully have enough space and adjustability through the dual fasteners to have room to wiggle without getting loose.

I've been using Mavics for years in 43 1/3. I've just bought some Cosmic Boas in the same size and they were far too long. I've sold those on and picked up another pair in 42 2/3, and they're a bit tight with 'normal' socks on. They're intended for use on the trainer so don't need day long comfort so they should be fine, especially if the tops soften up. Just shows what a nightmare it is picking shoes, evenv staying within the same brand.

Thanks for that. I do fancy the black and yellow! I’ve also seen reviews saying half a size up. Shame I don’t have any bike shops that sell decent gear nearby to try them before buying. Not forgiven the hound for killing my giros yet. They were brilliant.
  • johngti
    wongataa said:

johngti said:

You can't asses shoe fit on how they may or may not fit other people. What matters is how they fit your feet. You need to try them on. Remember don't size up narrow shoes to fit the width of your feet. Get wider shoes of the correct length.

Ideally I’d go somewhere to try them on but that’s a bit tricky from here
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    johngti said:

wongataa said:

johngti said:

Nevertheless, the point wonga is making remains valid. You can't assume that the shoes will fit you really well, just because they fit someone else really well.

Unless that other person has been cloned from your own DNA, obviously...

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    If you were happy with the Giros, why not get another pair, same size? Apparently the sole of the "new" Cadet isn't great, but you may be able to get nice offers on older models.
  • johngti
    drhaggis said:

If you were happy with the Giros, why not get another pair, same size? Apparently the sole of the "new" Cadet isn't great, but you may be able to get nice offers on older models.

They were the techlace ones - so end of line. That means used on eBay or stupidly expensive for NOS stuff. I’ll find a pair one way or another
  • johngti

johngti said:

wongataa said:

johngti said:

Nevertheless, the point wonga is making remains valid. You can't assume that the shoes will fit you really well, just because they fit someone else really well.

Unless that other person has been cloned from your own DNA, obviously...

Give me a little bit of credit. If most people say that the size was as described then it’s a good sign that trying my normal size would be good start. If most say that they had to go half a size up then that’s also a start. Unless I have non- average feet. Which I don’t.

So asking the question allows me to get a starting point to try rather than buying numerous pairs at once and sending back what I don’t want. Doesn’t it?
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    OK, I'll bite. My foot is 27.0 cm long (so, short of one foot, if you excuse the pun). I've got a pair of old super entry level Shimano R066, another of Bontrager Velocis (2018) and, since Christmas, a pair of Giro Regimes that live overseas. All size 44. While shoe shopping last year, I also tried a set of Giro Cadet (as baseline), Giant Surge, and a set of Shimano current RC3's and last gen RC5's. I don't remember what size the Giants were.

The newer, higher-end Shimanos feel a touch shorter than the old one, and a little tighter. I wanted to like the RC5's, but didn't get along with the lip. Fit feels not far off the Giro Regime. The Giros feel a couple of mm longer. The Bontrager shoe fits very differently. It has a clearly wider toe box, and a different (taller?) last shape. Either because of last shape or actual dimensions, the Bontragers feel larger than the other brands mentioned.

Fizik has a printable chart, so you can draw your feet, get some dimensions, and order accordingly. That chart puts me in a 43.5. I've never tried a pair, though, so I can't comment on how they fit.

Fizik shoes look gorgeous, but damn the RRP is ridiculous. Given the online discount, maybe the risk of £3 return charge is worth taking...
  • johngti
    That all makes sense. Thank you
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113
    I found true to size as well, had r4, had to sell as too big. Bought bont blitz, no complaints. Most of new shoes all have cm on them. I go by them now. Never far away
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    johngti said:

wongataa said:

johngti said:

The last time I got cycling shoes I had to order a few, try them on, and return the ones that didn't fit. Buy from somewhere with a good returns policy. It is the annoying part about buying cycling shoes.
  • johngti
    So just to draw a line under this, I bought the r5 power strap shoes in 44.5 rather than my usual 44. Fit is very good, I just need to check the clear positioning now as that’s something else that was picked up on in reviews in terms of where the holes are and the lack of adjustment.

Thanks all.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited March 2023
    I realise you have bought already, and I hope they work well for you.

I don't think I have every tried Giro, or if I did I think I may have been inbetween sizes.

Some may argue I have two many cycle shoes, possibly me included.

My favourites tend to be Scott ones, always in a size 44, nice wide toe box, and just fit me really well.
    I have also have some mavics, used to buy 45 1/3, but more recently have found the 44s fit.
    Also have some Bontrager shoes, 45s for commuting and a tiny bit large, and the others (Road and MTB) are 44s, good shape for me throughout, and again a fairly roomy toebox.
    I also have a pair of Fizik R3s in 44, surprisingly in black and yellow, although I know they fit, I have yet to wear them in anger - maybe this year is the year.

Although I would be interested to hear if you can fit the cleat far enough back - as if not, I may move these on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • johngti
    daniel_b said:

I realise you have bought already, and I hope they work well for you.

I don't think I have every tried Giro, or if I did I think I may have been inbetween sizes.

Some may argue I have two many cycle shoes, possibly me included.

My favourites tend to be Scott ones, always in a size 44, nice wide toe box, and just fit me really well.
    I have also have some mavics, used to buy 45 1/3, but more recently have found the 44s fit.
    Also have some Bontrager shoes, 45s for commuting and a tiny bit large, and the others (Road and MTB) are 44s, good shape for me throughout, and again a fairly roomy toebox.
    I also have a pair of Fizik R3s in 44, surprisingly in black and yellow, although I know they fit, I have yet to wear them in anger - maybe this year is the year.

Although I would be interested to hear if you can fit the cleat far enough back - as if not, I may move these on.

Had to order some new ones so I’ll let you know at the weekend
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHCABCRW/carnac-baroudeur-carbon-road-shoe-white

Anyone tried these from Planet X? Looking for a white pair for this summer and not sure if I'm prepared to pay the £££ for the Fizik ones I really like the look of...
  • me-109
    I tried a 42 as supposedly true to size. Too short as my toe was in the end, but also rather roomy to the point that I thought going up a size would be too much as well as possibly too long. No half sizes available. Uppers were quite decent although some glue showing in parts, and the finish on the carbon sole could have been better. Only 80 quid then.
  • I've always used Giro shoes and until last year I'd had variations on the 2 velcro/1 ratchet style (Empire AAC) and they're probably the most comfortable shoe I have. Bought a pair of the lightweight Giro Imperial last summer and for the first few rides I was adamant that they were narrower and with a smaller toe box, to the point that I was ready to pass them on. I persevered with them for a few more weeks on the turbo and gradually upped the time/distance of rides, to the point I took them to the alps along with my old pair, thinking I might have to swap them over after the first day. Ended up wearing the Imperial all week. So.... In my experience, it can be worth sticking with them for a little while if it's possible. Cycling shoes do need bedding in and switching between brands or even different styles from the same brand can feel wildly different.

I've just bought a pair of Shimano RC702 and again, they feel massively different to the Giro but I think they've also adjusted their size charts to reflect the smaller sizing. Nearly all reviews of Shimano suggest you should size up from your usual size. It should be fairly obvious when you're clipped in and riding out the saddle if your toes are digging into the end of the shoe, or your feet are moving around way too much. You also shouldn't need to tighten them up to the point where it's causing pain on the top of your foot to compensate for a loose fit.

• mrb123
    me-109 said:

I tried a 42 as supposedly true to size. Too short as my toe was in the end, but also rather roomy to the point that I thought going up a size would be too much as well as possibly too long. No half sizes available. Uppers were quite decent although some glue showing in parts, and the finish on the carbon sole could have been better. Only 80 quid then.

Thanks - sounds like these probably won't suit my foot shape (narrow and bony)

• me-109
    @mrb123 yes, I've got slim feet (maybe not bony!) so probably similar when thinking about volume, rather than length. It's an expensive way to find out, having to pay for postage out and the post back with adequate insurance.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    In my experience, Fizik shoes have a very pronounced and high arch support, which, though my feet are pretty arched, I found too steep and it put too much pressure on the inside of my arch.

I get on extremely well with Sidi which is similar but less extreme regarding the arch support, though I will say I feet seem to be very shallow in them, in that I need to tie them up right to the max just to get the right fit.

Right balance between secure feet and not too-tight. They also last an absolute age. Still going strong 10 years in.
  • mrb123
    Got some Fizik X5 Terras which fit me well. They're an SPD shoe but the upper looks a lot like a road shoe so I suspect the fit will be similar to the pure road shoes they do.
  • mrb123
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-extreme-pro-2-road-shoes-2
    These look pretty good. Extra 10% plus TCB at CRC presently.