G4 is a good winter cycling suit?

nickchaldakov
nickchaldakov Posts: 6
edited February 2023 in Road general
Hi dear,

Does anyone have experience with G4 french company and particular withe WINTER ALL-IN-ONE CYCLING SUIT?
https://www.g4dimension.com/en/cycling-suit/403-winter-all-in-one-cycling-suit.html#/22-size-s

Or would you recommend a good winter cycling suit like this?

Thank you,
Nick
Nick Chaldakov

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,505
    That's a lot of money for an all-in-one.
    Personally, I like to keep my clothing options flexible - so I can mix and match different items to give me the right combination for the conditions on the day.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155
    I've got the Castelli winter onesie. Basically a Perfetto and Sorpasso stitched together. Haven't worn it for years mind - same reasons as above. It's great when the temperature is just right for it but that's a small window, usually too wet / cold / hot for it to make sense. And you will get ribbed if you turn up to a winter group ride in a 'skinsuit', especially if you have cafe stop.
    I think I paid about a quarter of the price of the one you linked to as well
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited February 2023
    No. I don't see why I would want one over winter bib thighs and a jacket. Jackets usually last far longer than bib thighs. With a one piece suit once the bib thighs wear out (or you have a spill and tear them), one has to bin the entire thing.
  • nickchaldakov
    nickchaldakov Posts: 6
    edited February 2023
    With one garment, it is more comfortable and more aero, and when the bottom wears out, I will buy a new suit.
    Nick Chaldakov
  • katani said:

No. I don't see why I would want one over winter bib thighs and a jacket. Jackets usually last far longer than bib thighs. With a one piece suit once the bib thighs wear down (or you have a spill and tear them), one has to bin the entire thing.
    With one garment, it is more comfortable and more aero, and when the bottom wears out, I will buy a new suit.
    Nick Chaldakov
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,608
    edited February 2023
    It is more aero, but in the winter I don't see that it matters, well unless you race?

Personally I'm heavier, I'm on a heavier bike, road conditions are poor, I'm not trying to shave seconds off here and there, I'm all about monitoring my power output post ride.

I don't have any comfort issues either, rode in mist and fog this week in tights, base layer and a thick jacket, and aside from the weather, all was good.

The cost of that one suit would easily buy you a quality power meter.

Summer cycling, I can totally see the case for an all in one suit, and do in fact have a couple.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

So when the bottoms wear out, you will happily just pay out another475 euros for a replacement. As opposed to paying out 60-70 euros for a pair of bib longs.

Spoken like a true product ambassador, eh....
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    I think that was fairly obvious from the original post.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited February 2023

At nearly 500 Euros you should easily be able to find a maker who will tailor you a bespoke one to your exact measurements to be sure you don't end up having to return it, which, unless you are based in France (and for international returns), can take even over a month to deliver by post and get refunded.

• What I want to know is if anyone has experience with this brand and this suit personally.

The price is high, I can't find a review of this model anywhere and I have doubts about the company?

Thank you.
    Nick Chaldakov
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I think answer is fairly clear that no one has and those that have bothered to look at your link think it’s over priced and not worth considering.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155
    I think the universal response is;
    - thermo suits are in theory a good idea but in practice the drawbacks are restrictive and for most uses outweigh any benefits
    - nobody has ever heard of G4 so can't vouch for them
    - the price is astronomical even if anyone had heard of G4, far in excess of offerings from premium brands people will have heard from

I can sell you a hardly used Castelli San Remo thermosuit in Medium for £50 if you are determined to gain that extra 0.5kph on that perfect day in winter when you're in the temperature window, so you're only 2kph slower than you'd be in summer. It comes with the side benefit of getting ripped to shreds on any group ride you go on!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521

What I want to know is if anyone has experience with this brand and this suit personally.

The price is high, I can't find a review of this model anywhere and I have doubts about the company?

Thank you.

No, no.
    Yes, hardly surprising, so do we all.
  • Thanks to everyone in the discussion. Your comments helped me to understand that this product is not suitable.

🙏❤️
    Nick Chaldakov