9 speed compatibility

I’m running 9 speed tiagra rear mech and shifters from 2011 with a 11-27 cassette. I’ve been told if I want to go up to 32T or 34T cassette I’ll need a longer cage rear mech, but I’ve no idea what current mech will be compatible. I believe the tiagra group set went up to 10 speed shortly after I bought my bike, would a 10 speed work if used the limiter screws to reduce range of movement or would there be a different length of cable pull?

Comments

• You can use any 9sp Shimano, i use a deore with an 11-36
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    You deffo need a 9spd rear derailleur.

Anyone would do, but as mentioned above, if you want the guarantee of being able to choose mush bigger cassettes, a mountain bike orientated one would be a good bet, and likely to be cheaper too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    daniel_b said:

You deffo need a 9spd rear derailleur.

Anyone would do, but as mentioned above, if you want the guarantee of being able to choose mush bigger cassettes, a mountain bike orientated one would be a good bet, and likely to be cheaper too.

9 OR 10s road derailleur will work, EXCEPT 10s Tiagra. Long cage (gs) 5700 or 6700 will work. Or 9s road or mtb .

I was about to stick a good condition 9s XT sgs on the bay, but I’m away now for a week. Only used for about 1000 miles before I decided to go spinal tap.
    Dm me if you’re interested, could post week after next.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    or a Wolf Tooth thang on existing mech or maybe even just reverse the B screw/pop in a longer onr and see what happens
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 667
    As per Lemonenema above, I have 9 speed Tiagra 4500 working well with a 9 speed Alivio RD and 11-36 cassette