Unimpressed with Novatec D791/792SB CL hubs

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 632
edited October 2023 in Road general
I built some winter bike wheels in Dec 2020 - Novatec hubs, DT Swiss RR411 DB Asym rims and 28 Sapim D-light spokes.
I haven't touched them in 5000 miles but after the recent deluges I've cycled in I checked them over.
Wheel bearings are still perfect and I think that is due to the very efficient seals that the thru axle adapters make with the wheel axle.
Unfortunately the freehub outer bearing has become notchy and probably hasn't got long so I've ordered a new one.

I've just looked back and the pair of hubs cost me less than £70 - bargain

Comments

• Never seen any major issues with Novatech and all good things heard too .
    Just out of interest is it a bearing your buying or a whole freehub ? As alot of freehubs are serviceable with just new bearings
  • paulbnix
    I'm buying a new freehub as it's only £29 delivered.

I've replaced freehub bearings before and will do so with the worn freehub especially as I've just realised it's the same as the one on my other bike. I'll have a spare then.
  • paulbnix
    I'm resurrecting my post in the light of my recent experiences with the Novatec D792SB rear hub.

After a couple of rides in some rain when I had not cleaned and oiled the pawls the free hub stopped working.

There was no drive it just rotated freely.

As I was 15 miles from home it was a bit concerning.

Luckily thumping the hub and banging the bike around freed off the pawls and I could pedal again.

I couldn't have that situation again so I've rebuilt that wheel with a Hope Pro5 hub. A lot more expensive but the dimensions were very close and I could reuse the spokes.

I also have a rim braked bike for summer and I built a wheel with a Novatec F482SB hub. This has the same freehub as the D782SB.

I only cycled through a few puddles and when I next took the bike out the freewheel was very notch and when I looked the pawls were happily rusting away.

I am rebuilding that wheel with a Hope RS4.

So I am still impressed with the sealing for the hub bearings but totally unimpressed with the sealing and metal that the pawls and freehub are made of.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I was confused why the United Nations were impressed with a hub.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • paulbnix
    daniel_b said:

I was confused why the United Nations were impressed with a hub.

I've removed the UN ☺