11 speed ragley or 12 speed nukeproof?

So I’m looking at the nukeproof scout 290 and the ragley big AL 1.0. They seem very similar bikes and all the stuff I’ve watched on them suggest they ride quite similarly with the ragley being slightly softer in the frame. My big question the ragley comes with 11 speed and the nukeproof a 12 speed. Would the lack of an extra gear on the ragley compared to the 12 on the nukeproof be an issue long term?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2023
    I wouldn't let the 11 or 12speed drivetrain be the deciding factor as the Big Al 1.0 is fitted with the Deore M5100 groupset.

Besides the obvious gear count (and very slight difference in steps between gears) it has an 11-51 cassette, similar to 12 speed set ups. These similar geared cassettes will give you almost the same climbing and top speed ratios.

The M5100 cassettes fit to a standard HG freehub which means the smallest cog cannot be any smaller than an 11 tooth.

Most, but not all 12speed cassettes use Microspline (Shimano) or XD Driver (Sram) freehubs allowing a smaller 10 tooth small cog to be used. Basically that little bit of extra range 12speed set ups give is down to 1 tooth difference on the small/top speed gear.

On a personal note I prefer 11speed drivetrains and would rather have (and pretty much decided I will be choosing) the Deore M5100 over any 12speed set up.

https://youtu.be/Fx735XpiOjc

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    edited January 2023
    Good luck with the new bike! :)

One more thing.

Check the spares prices for 11-speed vs 12-speed for the items you would need to replace. If you buy ahead of need you can always find discounted stuff, but if you need stuff right now, then it is NEVER on discount and you will have to pay top price. (It's a rule!) In general, 12-speed stuff is more expensive than 11-speed, so check prices for chain, cassettes and your front ring. It may make a difference in the choice of your bike.

If this is the first time you will be going above 10-speed, then be aware of this: the smaller clearances involved make gear set up even more important. I never had to adjust my 7-speed bike, once correctly set. But as the number of gears went up, they seemed to need more constant adjustment, which was easy to do. It was only when I got to 11 and then 12-speed shifting that "mech hanger alignment" became an issue. It is easy and cheap to fix, but if you never think to check (difficult without the required tool), then it can be the source of much frustration during which you will start to believe that your magic skills have deserted you! :o