Custom thru axle

bobones
bobones Posts: 1,215
Is it feasible to cut a 1.5 mm thread on top of a 1.0 mm thread pitch thru axle? I'm looking for a 1.5 mm rear Quick Guard thru axle but no one has stock and there won't be any soon. Another thought is to get a local machine shop to make me one. Do you think that could be done within a reasonable cost?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Does it have to be one of those Quick Guards? Here's an alternative axle https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/brandx-rear-bolt-thru-axle-12-x-142mm-m12-x-15-170mm/
  • bobones
    me-109 said:

Does it have to be one of those Quick Guards? Here's an alternative axle https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/brandx-rear-bolt-thru-axle-12-x-142mm-m12-x-15-170mm/

Thanks, but it’s to mount a QuickGuard so it needs the extension that sticks out from the frame.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Check robertaxle project.

They do axles for literally everything
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    never heard of quickguard before, google shows a kickstarter product that may well be dead judging by...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236528337/quickguard-full-length-bicycle-mudguard/posts/3336029

...nothing dodgy, just the impact of covid supply chain woes

aside from that, the only 'quickguard' website i see is the brand microsite that's actually chicken cycles (reputable) who presumably handle(d) uk distribution

seems likely that the only stock is whatever is sitting in retail and that there'll be no more
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bobones
    Chicken Cycles is the UK distributor and the guards themselves are stocked by loads of retailers including Merlin and Amazon, so despite what the Kickstarter site says, they seemed to have launched successfully.

You might be right though and nothing else beyond this batch will ever be made, but I’ve been using them on my rim brake bikes and they’re a fantastic product. I’m building a disc bike now and want to use these but cannot find stock of the 1.5 mm pitch rear thru axle, hence this query.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Maybe those dudes Dan used for his ti axles?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    edited January 2023
    bobones said:

Chicken Cycles is the UK distributor and the guards themselves are stocked by loads of retailers including Merlin and Amazon, so despite what the Kickstarter site says, they seemed to have launched successfully.

You might be right though and nothing else beyond this batch will ever be made, but I’ve been using them on my rim brake bikes and they’re a fantastic product. I’m building a disc bike now and want to use these but cannot find stock of the 1.5 mm pitch rear thru axle, hence this query.

stock of 'dead' products can sit with retailers for years before they write it off and bin it

once it's gone, that's it

if you intend using this stuff long term, might be time to get replacements/spares while you still can

you could message the guy via kickstarter to find out if there'll ever be any more - maybe he'll restart once china recovers, if not perhaps he'd provide engineering data to get one made
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bobones
    edited January 2023
    Amazingly, my local bike shop had a couple of unsold sets of the V1 guards with the TA I was looking for, so I am sorted now!

I think you're right though, and there may have been only one batch of these made, and perhaps no more, so I'll get some spares as I am planning to use them long term because there's nothing anywhere near as good for disc brake bikes without eyelets.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Did you guy both sets so you have a variety of spares?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    daniel_b said:

Did you guy both sets so you have a variety of spares?

I've only bought one so far as the V1 guards have a flimsy plastic mounting clamp which allows the guards to move around too much. The V2 guards have a metal u-clamp which was the designer's original specification, and these work great. The shop sold me the V1 set for £30, so I am tempted to get the other one, just to have the extremely rare rear 1.5 mm TA as a spare. Other TAs can be bought for £9.99 and the QR version of the guard for £25, which isn't too bad.