Central/SE London locations?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
Driving my wife down to the Camberwell area of London and will be at a loose end for a few hours so fancy a bike ride, thinking of going to Lee valley (35 min drive according to GM) unless anyone else has a better idea in a similar time distance away?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    It probably depends on how the Blackwall Tunnel is flowing - 35 mins might be a bit optimistic. Although not sure there is that much in the same sort of time that's much good in SE London. If you have a road bike that might be an easier alternative (flame suit on).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    Yeah, i have to do a similar route for work on occasion and even on a motorbike I don't relish it. Rotherhithe or Blackwell tunnels could easily double your journey time if you're unlucky.
    But as Stevo points out, I'm not sure anything else is nearer, Biggin Hill maybe, never ridden that area off road much.
    You may be able to get a train out towards the surrey hills, plenty of good trails but then it's likely to be a fair bit more riding than Lee Valley, which I guess is nice and compact.
  • The Rookie
    edited January 2023
    Thanks both.
    Without going into too much detail, my wife is visiting her Mum in hospital so I don't want to be too far away time wise if she calls me back early.
    Options are lee valley with the MTB, or take my Hybrid down (road bike - forsooth) and drive towards Richmond until I find somewhere to park and then ride to the park (I expect I can ride faster than I could drive it!) and do a lap or two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

Thanks both.
    Without going into too much detail, my wife is visiting her Mum in hospital so I don't want to be too far away time wise if she calls me back early.
    Options are lee valley with the MTB, or take my Hybrid down and drive towards Richmond until I find somewhere to park and then ride to the park (I expect I can ride faster than I could drive it!) and do a lap or two.

Rookie,

If you're fairly fit I'd cycle over to Richmond Park and back. My only other bit of advice would be to maybe drop your OH off and and then park the car over towards Herne Hill/North Dulwich on one of the residential roads. Not sure how much hospital parking there is at Kings College Hospital (assume that's where your OH is visiting) but it'll probably cost a small fortune if you can get it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Parking in Richmond Park is free, but it will be a painful drive to get there. I think it's massively overrated as a cycling destination and I'm only a stone's throw away from it. If you go do a lap on the road and also on the trail, the surface is pretty good so you don't need off road tyres.
    I'd be tempted to ride around London and see the sights, stop to take in the sights and keep your wits about you whilst riding of course.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    Actually, that could be a good shout, head into town and see a few of the sights and then pootle back down the south bank with a few cafe/ gallery stops depending on your preference and you'll be good and close to Camberwell if you get the call.
    I liked my Richmond Park commute when I worked in West London and was happy to take an extra 10 minutes to enjoy the views but I wouldn't bother heading there as a destination to do laps.

Parking in Richmond Park is free, but it will be a painful drive to get there. I think it's massively overrated as a cycling destination and I'm only a stone's throw away from it. If you go do a lap on the road and also on the trail, the surface is pretty good so you don't need off road tyres.
    I'd be tempted to ride around London and see the sights, stop to take in the sights and keep your wits about you whilst riding of course.

• The Rookie
    Sorry late back to this, on the day the weather was biblical, it took an hour longer getting there than it should have and riding was going to be no fun at all so the bike stayed in the car.