Gore C5 Shakedry sizing - can you help me out?

I have an older Gore waterproof jacket in size L which has an armpit to armpit measurement when laid flat on the floor of 51cm.

My Dad has an XL original shakedry jacket which has the above measurement of 54cm.

A new C5 Shakedry jacket I just got for Christmas, in size L, has an armpit to armpit measurement of 58.5cm.

To me, this feels bonkers and like there has been a mistake in labeling it. Can someone with a C5 in either M, L or XL measure the armpit to armpit when it's laid flat on the floor?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I am not the same size, but have two shakedry jackets, including the original.

The original was cut very small and they changed the sizing to a far more generous cut with later iterations, so what you are describing sounds right. i.e. your newer jacket is much larger than your dad's, even though he is a size up.

I have two in size small, the later jacket is around 3 inches larger in the chest!
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I have a C5 in small and yes it does size up larger than expected. I think C7 is more "race fit", C3 is the most generous fit and C5 somewhere in between.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for the help, it just seems strange given the size chart for all 3 are the same. I don't understand the fit of the C5, I am in the middle of the L in the size chart and it's literally bin bag sized on me.

I dread to think what a 'more generous' C3 is like? Like a £300 poncho?
  • Yep, my 1985 shakedry is like a bin bag as well!

BTW, if any forum members are contemplating a shakedry jacket, buy one soon as GORE are no longer manufacturing it in any form. Once their current inventory is gone, that is it.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    For what its worth mine feels better when in riding position with arms extended, have you tried it on the bike yet? I also like that I can get it on easily over winter layers. Probably not going to be much better for you if it's bin bag sized though!
  • joeyhalloran

Yep, my 1985 shakedry is like a bin bag as well!

BTW, if any forum members are contemplating a shakedry jacket, buy one soon as GORE are no longer manufacturing it in any form. Once their current inventory is gone, that is it.

Ha. Well I may have one for sale.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

How much are you asking for it?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Get one of these while they're still around: 7 mesh Oro. Great fit and very light. I have a Mk1 Castelli Idro in large, but the medium in this fits great (5'11 and 70 kg). Good discount now too.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 2023
    Merlin have the Idro Pro 3 for £199 as well.

And 5% cashback through TCB too.

@bobones are you saying the Castelli sizes up smaller than the 7mesh?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • joeyhalloran
    de_sisti said:

How much are you asking for it?
    I've returned it instead, though it was £170 I think they've gone up recently.

I did see the Idro and the 7Mesh(Sigma sport) for £200, though I liked the visibility of the C5. I think, to be honest, I'll leave it. £200 is a lot to spend on a rain jacket.
  • bobones
    daniel_b said:

Merlin have the Idro Pro 3 for £199 as well.

And 5% cashback through TCB too.

@bobones are you saying the Castelli sizes up smaller than the 7mesh?

Yes, Idro is smaller than 7Mesh, at least older version is. By all accounts Castelli has moved to increase their sizes with recent designs. I bought a couple of Alpha ROS 2 jackets in L and they're definitely a bit more roomy than my older L Alpha ROS

• bobones

Not just any rain jacket though. I've had my Idro for about 4 years and it's the best rain jacket I've ever had. Still looks like new too. I bought the 7mesh as a backup because Shake Dry is soon to become extinct, and there's nothing else anywhere near as good in the pipeline.

• joeyhalloran
    bobones said:

Not just any rain jacket though. I've had my Idro for about 4 years and it's the best rain jacket I've ever had. Still looks like new too. I bought the 7mesh as a backup because Shake Dry is soon to become extinct, and there's nothing else anywhere near as good in the pipeline.

This was my rational of spending £170 but after doing some reading I have somewhat questioned it. I have a Gore active jacket in red (visible) which, when clean, has the same breathability and waterproof ratings as shakedry(apparently, never ridden in shakedry). Sure, shakedry never wets out so you don't need to maintain it as well but I don't do that much riding in the rain that reproofing a jacket now and then is too much of an issue.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023
    bobones said:

Get one of these while they're still around: 7 mesh Oro. Great fit and very light. I have a Mk1 Castelli Idro in large, but the medium in this fits great (5'11 and 70 kg). Good discount now too.

wowsas, clearly word has gotten out about their extinction, pretty sure all sizes of the Oro at Sigma were in stock yesterday, but today, only xs left!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023
    If it helps, I decided to break my 'no buying clothes for 6 months pledge' as I knew this material is about to be no more, and had to order a medium as they had none in small.

I already have a 2nd hand 7mesh Oro in XS, which fits when I am racefit, and a Small Gore version, with the yellow active material - that's far more spacious and fits me whenever, and pretty much within reason, whatever I am wearing.

I really fancied this one, due to the rear pockets, and the lack of much in the way of red, in contrast to the non pro version which has that nasty red zip down the front :#

It arrived, and the quality is evident, but alas for me it is just too large, even with my 'winter coat' on. Arms too long, collar too big, too big around the body, so just returned it now.

I have to say, for an apparent £375 jacket, I was expecting some beautiful presentation box, but instead it came in the standard issue clear plastic bag :D

I would say the medium would fit people around 70kg with a bigger chest than your average cyclist, and probably up to around the 78kg mark.
    Seeing as they currently have all sizes in stock, I'd be surprised if that is the case for long.
    Additionally, go through TCB for £9.90 cashback if you are an existing customer, and twice that in the unlikely event you have not shopped with Merlin before.
    Mine tracked immediately, though of course, and correctly, that will now be declined.

I did contact Merlin to see if they might be getting any more in at size small, but the reply said they did not believe they would be - I'll try and keep my eyes peeled in case one gets returned, and if anyone happens to notice one, please tag me on here!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    The only downside for a shakedry for me is not being able to wear a rucksack.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • joeyhalloran
    What is TCB discount?
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

The only downside for a shakedry for me is not being able to wear a rucksack.

Agreed, if that is key, then that is a deal breaker.
    For me, it would be key never to wear a rucksack on the bike though :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

What is TCB discount?

Top Cash Back
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2023
    i'm a medium in Assos/rapha and GoreTex showed a large as being the same. My rapha is medium and race fit but yes the 1985 is looser but didnt they do a C5 and a C7, the latter being tighter. my Gore is insulated. Stunning bit of kit on a cold/wet ride. Rode in a s/s sleeve jersey and base layer last week underneath it. Sledgehammer to crack nut but you could use a rack or tailfin.
  • joeyhalloran
    It's the C5 I had but if that's tight then I'm a skinny, mountain-conquering pro cyclist. They do they C7 which they say is 'race' rather than 'athletic' fit but I am not sure I trust them with any sort of sizing or garments anymore.

Not sure why you reference a rack or tailfin? To carry a jacket round?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 667

Not sure why you reference a rack or tailfin? To carry a jacket round?

I'm guessing it's referring to not wearing a rucksack?