My Whoosh virtual training thingie

Anyone here used it? Considering it as a replacement for Zwift as its free and Zwift and the others aren't

#manyamicklemskesamuckle
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• I did ~30mins last week on the flat 6.9Km Medellin City route, doing an easy ERG workout on my Poco F3 mobile (mobile device minimum spec is quite high https://mywhoosh.com/docs/which-devices-work-with-mywhoosh/ ).

All was going great, until I got a phonecall ~10secs from workout end. I answered the call, thinking my workout would pause, but all history of the ride vanished when I ended the call and I was back in the main menu.

I'll definitely be giving it another try.

Other apps...

Have you got a an old Zwift account? You might have been sent an email offering up to 60 days free trial around the end of October using a promo code, with a reminder around 14th December if you hadn't activated it.
    Don't forget you get 25Km free on Zwift each calendar month, do rides/workout on "Ven Top" (Ventoux) which points to the sky almost from the off and you will get more ride time for your distance. ;)
    Android app option.

WahooRGT still has a free account for all as far as I'm aware, you're usually limited to two courses that change approximately monthly, plus a number of the ERG workouts are free while ridiong around Canary Wharf. Android app option.

Rouvy usually offers a 14 day free trial. Yesterday I got an email with an offer to get a 1 month plan for $0.01 using NEWY23 code. Android app option.

I'm a bit out of touch with what's going on with One Lap these days in terms of trials and subs, it does have an Android app though.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2022
    Top post - thankyou! Will peruse over coffee.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

Have you got a an old Zwift account? You might have been sent an email offering up to 60 days free trial around the end of October using a promo code, with a reminder around 14th December if you hadn't activated it.
    Don't forget you get 25Km free on Zwift each calendar month, do rides/workout on "Ven Top" (Ventoux) which points to the sky almost from the off and you will get more ride time for your distance. ;)

I didn't get the reminder, but found the old email and activated it the other day and it still worked :)

I don't know if you can do something like sign up for Zwift with a free trial then cancel it at the end, then sign up for RGT with a free trial and cancel it, then Rouvy etc. by which time the others send you codes for 30 days free to make you come back?

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,636
    RGT doesn’t allow that, unless you use a new email address, the others might.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    thistle_ said:

I didn't get the reminder, but found the old email and activated it the other day and it still worked :)
    Scratch that.
    Activated the 60 days free in December, they charged me the £12.99 in December and £12.99 last week.
    I only logged in to try and pause it for a few weeks because I'm not using it.
  • Not tried them yet, but there was a big Arabia download through Google Play yesterday for Mywhoosh and when I launched the app, there was then an Australia download before I could log in.

That's not the only free Zwift trial issue I've read recently thistle, someone posted on the Zwift forum posted something about the code being rejected.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    Doesn't this have the whiff of sports washing?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I currently use Rouvy but really only use the basic capabilities.
    When my current subscription runs out in May, I currently plan to switch to FulGaz to bring annual fees down from £117 (£9.75 per month) to about £84 (£7 per month) - but if MySwoosh supports MacOS by then, I will certainly consider it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    singleton said:

I currently use Rouvy but really only use the basic capabilities.
    When my current subscription runs out in May, I currently plan to switch to FulGaz to bring annual fees down from £117 (£9.75 per month) to about £84 (£7 per month) - but if MySwoosh supports MacOS by then, I will certainly consider it.

Top tip. Annual subscription includes use for two "family members".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tried to run this last night for a very gentle ride, but despite getting my Saris H3 to pair with the app, no power registered so I didn't move... And it wasn't down to my currently feable legs! :lol:

Looking at recent reviews on the Google Play app store, it looks like this is a common issue since the big update last week.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • There was an update for this on Android the other day, but had same issue as I had last post, my turbo paired but my avatar wouldn't move or register power! :#

Worked fine for 30min test before Xmas, until a call ~10secs before ERG workout end, I answered and app decided to forget I rode at all.

Downloaded the Windows app last night on pc, don't know when I'll get a chance to try it. Just like recent Android update, there's a chunky sized update upon launch, for various "worlds."
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    might give it a try. Looking for something free for the spring… RGT is alright, but very limited
    left the forum March 2023
  • Iirc anyone can sign up for a 14 day Rouvy trial for next few days, even if you've done a trial previously, they are doing a $1 donation towards the Turkey/ Syria earthquakes for each rider that completes a specific ~5 mile route (in Poland?).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • legendary_27
    legendary_27 Posts: 11
    edited April 2023
    I rode for an hour on MyWhoosh yesterday. Setup was very straightforward: it recognised and connected to my trainer (Elite Zumo) and HRM (Garmin) with no issues. I used an iPhone 12, mirrored to an Apple TV box. Graphics are decent - very similar to Zwift. I felt that MyWhoosh actually controlled my trainer better than Zwift. There is a noticeable delay in Zwift, between the gradient percentage changing on screen and the resistance changing on my trainer. The change on my MyWhoosh was more or less instantaneous. The gradient changes also seemed more realistic on MyWhoosh, with less of the sudden jumps in resistance that I typically experience on Zwift. The overall experience was probably more 'life-like' than Zwift (I appreciate the irony in that statement). Importantly though, in the hour that I cycled, I did not see a single other person. For me, that made the experience a bit boring. To be honest, I had not realised how much of a (useful) distraction other cyclists on Zwift are.

Despite MyWhoosh being free, I will continue to use Zwift. From a purely technical perspective though, I would have no issues using MyWhoosh as an indoor training platform. The background to MyWhoosh is also unavoidable, and for me, makes the decision not to use it easy.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I snapped up one of the £209 Jet Black Volt trainers from Sports Direct last week after looking longingly at smart trainers for quite a while - my Kurt Kinetic has, in all honesty, done amazing service for me over many sessions across many years and is still going strong but the pull of more advanced and interactive training couldn’t be ignored forever.
    Due to budgetary issues, initially anyway, I’d like to get a period of use with a free/cheap app and MyWhoosh seems to be pretty decent. As it’s free it maybe doesn’t win in a side-by-side comparison with the obvious system, Zwift but if there are users of it on here that could indicate whether it is worth committing a bit of time and effort to or not then I’d appreciate that. MyWhoosh seem to issue updates pretty regularly and I’ve joined their FB group where comments from users range from highly positive to the opposite.
    TIA
  • gethinceri
    I strongly recommend you take a look at RGT also.
    It has its failings (lack of users, need for a stable internet), but when it gets to autumn and you want access to some FREE group rides and races it's hard to beat.
  • Not tried this app in months, but just seen MyWhoosh updated on my Poco F3 mobile yesterday, Belgium world added.

As has often been the case, there was an extra download when starting app after an update, ~2GB.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyrr

I strongly recommend you take a look at RGT also.
    It has its failings (lack of users, need for a stable internet), but when it gets to autumn and you want access to some FREE group rides and races it's hard to beat.

Cheer, will do - are you using the free plan or have you found that you’ve wanted to open up the complete RGT set of options?
  • gethinceri
    edited August 2023
    I've been in since beta and I have a full subscription.
    With the free option you generally have access to 2 roads (which change a couple of times a year) and ALL events.
  • andyrr
    What are the benefits of the subscription ? I’ve had a look but couldn’t see. Also they don’t list the JetBlack trainer so I’ll need to see if it works ok with it.
  • pblakeney
    I know that I am an outlier but I'd recommend giving Fulgaz at least a trial.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyrr
    Since getting my JetBlack Volt trainer in the recent super Sports Direct offer I had a look at the now deceased Wahoo RGT but had settled on, for now, MyWoosh. Really want to avoid having to fork out for Zwift or other subs services as I’m used to doing my own thing anyway having used a dumb Kurt Kinetic trainer along with mainly GCN videos.
    I’m liking MyWoosh in the main, not yet bothered by a lack of riding companions as I’ve not tried on-line racing - I may well do so at some point. The MW FB page has numerous reports of crashes and drop-outs mid-session but until recently I’d had an overall positive experience.
    I do wonder a little if the power is accurate as when I seem to hit the target power pretty much bang-on very frequently, and to my own perception I might be varying my produced power by a few watts. Maybe this is just the way that the ERG on these turbos works?
    I did however try a short ride recently and experienced my power dropping to 0 and I restarted the app then the ride on at leat 2 occasions before it seemed to behave. I’ve since done a couple of sessions without issue so I’m still positive about the platform overall.
  • pblakeney
    ERG should set the resistance so your power output matches what is required.
    Higher resistance for a lower RPM.
    Veronese68 wrote: