Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST rear free-hub servicing

niv
niv Posts: 14
OK, cassette & disc rotor off & end caps pulled off the axle. There is now just a 1ppr0x 10mm through hole in the axle, no nuts to undo, no 5mm allen key bolts or anything. All Youtube videos I've found refer to one or other of above, but it seems I don't have either!
Any clues as to how to pull off the free-hub? But might get it pro serviced anyway as bearings a bit rough too. 🙁
Wheels were new in Jan 2021 and done around 2300 miles, mainly winter (summer bike comes out later)😀
Any advice welcome.

PS: Can I add photos here?
PPS: Originally posted in wrong forum (Fitness & Health etc) Doh!
Niv.

Comments

• Is it not the ratchet system? In which case it should come off just by literally pulling it
    left the forum March 2023
  • niv
    That's what I thought too, maybe I'm just too weak! Def didn't want to budge, and no where to really attach a "puller" type tool.
    Niv.
  • Yeah it pulls off as it's the navic version of the ratchet system .
    It can have a good hold on .
  • niv
    edited December 2022
    Took these pics: seems there is a hollow axle ~12mm central 'hole' right through wheel, and looks like freehub pressed on, but maybe I just need to pull a lot harder somehow? QR end caps have been pulled off to show.

Niv.
  • Tap tge axle either way with a soft blow to free it up .As above they can take a good hold .
    When it frees up you'll wonder how it managed to get so tight as it slips on and off easily
  • niv
    Took a bit more than a "tap", but 4 or 5 blows with copper mallet on both ends of the axle freed it up, ta for the tip.
    But, looks like I may need new wheel bearings, feel a bit rough, def don't have press tools for that, so maybe up to LBS (& cafe 😃) to see if they can replace.
    But that won't affect bike on Zwift trainer.

Niv.
  • Nice ,glad you got it off .
    Not an expensive job to replace bearings and gets the wheel back to an as new state too.
  • niv
    UPDATE: Did a ride today, 1st Jan, up one hill, down then up 2nd hill and freehub started to slip, got worse & worse & had to give up the 2nd climb about 90% of the way to top, free-wheeled back down & then tried to ride home the 2 miles, but could only make very slow progress with constant slipping hub, all but lightest pedal pressure caused it to slip, and then the walk back up the last hill to home.

So, Mavic ID 360 hubs, are they rubbish is this expected after only ~2300 miles?
    Also, I can see how it's supposed to work (I'm an engineer), but what bits need replacing? Obviously the 2 serrated "engagement cogs", maybe the spring, (but I guess I'll have to buy whole freehub). I can see where the inner cog slots into the wheel, I assume this is part of the wheel assembly?
    Does seem a solution to a problem that didn't exist, compared to pawls etc?
    Niv.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited January 2023
    You can get the internal service pack with all the bits in it .
    I dud have a warranty set sent away to Mavic too that were refunded after they looked at them
    The internal splines that were part of the hub were stripped
  • The grease for these is pretty specific ,I use the DT swiss special stuff on any I do .
    Also the first washer when rebuilding is critical
  • niv

Thanks for the input Trevor.
    Taken it apart again, so I have the freehub itself, a large grooved rubber washer, spring, 2 ratchet cogs and a small rubber washer.
    It seems the small rubber washer sits inside one ratchet and goes onto axle & engages with wheel splines, the 2nd ratchet sits in the freehub with the spring behind it, and the larger grooved washer sits on the freehub flange (groove facing wheel?, or facing hub?, it came off before I noticed, but assume groove faces wheel)?
    Can get kit for about £35 (top pic). Looks like the 2 ratchet parts are identical/interchangeable.
    Niv.
  • The Freehub body seal goes flat side facing the freehub iirc ,