Road tyres for 650b

Hi there,
I’m more of a roadie but I’ve just picked up a Boardman 650b to ride to the gym and shops. The tyres are big knobbly jobbies so I was wondering if I could fit some thinner road type tyres on it.
TIA.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,505
    You can also fit 27.5 tyres so some XC tyres might be worth considering.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    650b and 27.5 are the same.

You can fit any smooth tread tyre of the correct size. You would be advised to find out what the internal rim width is of your wheels. If it's not on the spec, then you will need to remove a tyre to measure it. When I say "advised", I mean that, but it is not essential as you can make assumptions.

Then try this website to select your tyre width that will suit your rim width. Any one rim width can suit a range of tyre widths. The narrower tread you go and the higher pressure, the faster rolling the wheel will be.

https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

Just page down to the two tyre width/rim width charts. I use the mtb one because that's what I ride. I guess for your purposes you can use either. See what both suggest.

Tread pattern is your choice, but if you are on tarmac alone, then go for a smooth tread or one with many small blocks.

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Yes, you can fit thinner, faster tyres. Most tyre manufacturers will have a few 650b/27.5" slick or semi-slick tyres in their range.
    e.g. Schwalbe Marathon or G-One Speed, Vittoria Revolution or Randonneur, Specialized Crossroads, Continental Double Fighter, WTB By-Way or Venture.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks for the answers so far.

I had the same bike for a year or so back in 2017 and put semi slick tyres on it but can’t remember the width.

I’ve seen plenty of 27.5 X 2 but was wondering if I could go thinner.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,505
    Schwalbe do their g one speed in 27.5x1.2 or 650bx30mm.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446

I’ve seen plenty of 27.5 X 2 but was wondering if I could go thinner.

It will depend upon the internal rim width.
    See my previous post.