PAYG sim that does not need topping up regularly and DOES charge to send texts required

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,583
edited December 2022 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all,

bit of a random post.

I'm going to get an alarm for my shed which has a motion sensor, runs of mains and battery, and has a sim inside to call/text up to 3 numbers.

Unfortunately for some reason Three sims are not compatible with this specific alarm.
Frustrating, as they seem to make exactly what I need.

What I am after is a PAYG sim that does not need topping up (Aside from when the balance runs down of course) but am happy for one that needs to be used occasionally, as I can test the alarm.
However, for that to work, I need the text to be chargeable, as if it bundled into the sim deal, it doesn't count towards the sim being 'active' and instead I would need to remove the sim, find a phone to put it in (Awkward as it's a full size sim) send a text etc - it would be a pain.

I've been looking around for something suitable, and so far have failed to find the ideal candidate.

Plenty out there, but loads rely on a top up every 2 ,3 or 4 months, which is no good to me.

Anyone done similar and found a suitable provider, can't believe I am alone in this requirement.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,930
    ASDA PAYG may be what you're looking for. Use Vodafone as the main carrier. The balance doesn't expire as long as you use something chargeable (text, phone data) every 180 days.
    https://mobile.asda.com/help/topping-up/top-up-expire
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou Jim, I will check them out :)
    180 days would be spot on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    If the system is internet connected (and can send email alerts), you might not even need to do that.

Could just get an internet connection which has 5/4g backup (virgin and BT offer them), then connect the router to a low end ups so keeps working if the power goes down.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    I have a O2 PAYG which gets topped up only if required. Which is very rarely. Don't know if they still offer that to new customers.
  • daniel_b
    PMark said:

If the system is internet connected (and can send email alerts), you might not even need to do that.

Could just get an internet connection which has 5/4g backup (virgin and BT offer them), then connect the router to a low end ups so keeps working if the power goes down.

It's not a pricey system, a tad under £100, but sadly no internet capability, so the sim is required. But if I can get the right sim, the extra cost will be negligible, a few pence per year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Asda free sim now ordered - cheers @JimD666 B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,930
    You're welcome. Hopefully it works as you need.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    daniel_b said:

PMark said:

It's not a pricey system, a tad under £100, but sadly no internet capability, so the sim is required. But if I can get the right sim, the extra cost will be negligible, a few pence per year.
    Whats the system? Would be interested in any feedback on it's performance as well.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023

daniel_b said:

PMark said:

Whats the system? Would be interested in any feedback on it's performance as well.
    @wolfsbane2k it is this thing here, though I bought it direct from them so I could easily add some extra remotes, a power supply and still get free postage - the add ons don't appear to be available from Amazon possibly by design:

https://amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Secure-Direct-UltraPIR-Garages/dp/B01IHK2SU4/?th=1

Mine is the 'No SIM Card' option.

A good range of reviews on there too.

This is the site I used: https://ultrasecuredirect.com/

Reviews are a bit mixed, but in the main they seem to be positive, so I'm hoping it will prove reliable. The mains power supply bit specifically appealed to me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    I think a lot of the phone companies have a PAYG tariff with no bundles but they don't really advertise them.
    Three SIMs won't work because they only use 3G+ networks and not 2G which I guess is what the alarm uses. I had the same problem when playing around with GSM electronic modules as I just bought a cheap one which only did 2G, the 3G version was about 4x the price!

Like Jim says, just remember to spend something within the time period or it gets cut off.