What wheels and brakes to upgrade to on Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon 2021?

I've had my Boardman for about a year and all is going well, but time to do something about the brakes and the wheels.

What have orthers found good as an alternative to the Tektro R315. Shimano 105 seems to be out as they're not available, I believe, in a 57mm drop which, is needed. Seems like my Shimano option is to use Shimano Tiagra BR-R451. What do people think and what other options are good?

On the wheels - what have others upgraded to or would recommend as an upgrade to the standard wheels.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Chuck a set of Primes 60s on and all will be well at a very suitable pice.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What is the issue with the brakes..?
  • MattFalle
    he's believed the clubbie marketing unforts
  • On steep descents they're not the greatest, so looking for something better. Have a couple of Gran Fondo's next year and hoping for a less teeth-gritting experience than the ones I did this year
  • MattFalle
    Try changing the brake pads first.

Chaning descending technique may help as well.

What rides are you plnning?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What is the issue with the brakes..?

On steep descents they're not the greatest, so looking for something better. Have a couple of Gran Fondo's next year and hoping for a less teeth-gritting experience than the ones I did this year

Caliper brakes in general are 'not the greatest' - especially on steep descents. Swapping calipers is unlikely to give you any significant improvement as the designs and mechanical advantage are all pretty similar. Try changing pads first, as above..
  • MattFalle
    Caliper brakes are perfectly fine and always will be.

pads and descending technique.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I had an earlier Boardman with long drop Tektro brakes. I used the same pads - Swisstop - as my other bike that had Sram Apex.

The Tektro braking definitely wasn't as good.

I replaced the brakes with Shimano R650 which I believe are Ultegra equivalent.

The braking was much improved.

I don't know if R650 are still available or what the current long drop Shimano brakes are but in my experience it was definitely worth the change.
  • paulbnix said:

I had an earlier Boardman with long drop Tektro brakes. I used the same pads - Swisstop - as my other bike that had Sram Apex.

The Tektro braking definitely wasn't as good.

I replaced the brakes with Shimano R650 which I believe are Ultegra equivalent.

The braking was much improved.

I don't know if R650 are still available or what the current long drop Shimano brakes are but in my experience it was definitely worth the change.

I'm using Kool Stop Salmon Pads and they were a massive improvement on the stock pads. R650 don't seem to be available anymore - looks like the only Shimano option is BR-R451. Alternatives that have seem to get mentioned are TRP RG957 or Miche Performance. Thoughts? Did you change your wheels?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,154
    Are your pads at the bottom of the Tektros or is there room to drop the pads further?

The most recent generation of Shimano brakes are 51mm drop (R7000, R8000) so they can work with 28mm tyres. If you have more than 6mm adjustment left, you'd be able to get away with them. Merlin have a pair of R7000s for £45 as well.

I've seen earlier versions of the SLR using normal Shimano brakes, not sure if they changed things for the most recent model you have, or if it's just to help running full length guards.

BTW on the wheels front Wiggle have some great deals on Primes, the RR50s for £400 would be my choice for that bike.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    It was my 1st road bike and I replaced the wheels with Aksiums.

I've no experience of any of the calipers you mention.

I would think that the Tiagra and Ultegra versions would perform similarly but would differ in weight.

However I do see that the R451 cope with 32mm as opposed to the R650's 28mm so will have a different geometry.

Looks like you can get them for about £50 so probably worth a punt.
  • Are your pads at the bottom of the Tektros or is there room to drop the pads further?

The most recent generation of Shimano brakes are 51mm drop (R7000, R8000) so they can work with 28mm tyres. If you have more than 6mm adjustment left, you'd be able to get away with them. Merlin have a pair of R7000s for £45 as well.

I've seen earlier versions of the SLR using normal Shimano brakes, not sure if they changed things for the most recent model you have, or if it's just to help running full length guards.

BTW on the wheels front Wiggle have some great deals on Primes, the RR50s for £400 would be my choice for that bike.

Good tip. Unfortunately, checked them and they're all the way to the bottom. Thanks for the tip on the wheels too.
  • MattFalle

Are your pads at the bottom of the Tektros or is there room to drop the pads further?

Thanks for the tip on the wheels too.
    pleasure dude, any time.