Cracked carbon fork ?

FattyFoggon
FattyFoggon Posts: 20
edited December 2022 in Workshop
Hi, was just cleaning the inside of the forks and noticed a possible crack on the inside of the fork it is where the forks join the frame but not 100% sure if it is just a scratch or an actual crack in the fork. The Bike is about two years old and is just used in the summer, I have no idea when it could of happened but it could of been there for months. I have never crashed the bike or had the forks of the bike ?

I am going take it to a mechanic to check out but just wondering, what use guys think i.e. is it a crack and if so any ideas how could it of occurred and I am guessing I will have to replace the forks, btw I know it will be hard to tell from a photo

Bike is upside down resting on the handlebars :)

Comments

• An odd place for a crack… my money is on a scratch/scuff
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    If you try to spread the forks apart a little does it open up? If not I wouldn't worry.
  • If you try to spread the forks apart a little does it open up? If not I wouldn't worry.

No I don't think so just tried it there now, the mark starts very close to where allen bolt goes in as part of the attaching the fork to the frame was just concerned maybe it had been over tightened
  • If you try to spread the forks apart a little does it open up? If not I wouldn't worry.

No I don't think so just tried it there now, the mark starts very close to where allen bolt goes in as part of the attaching the fork to the frame was just concerned maybe it had been over tightened
    The Allen bolt doesn’t attach the fork to the frame, it’s there for the rim brake callipers. The fork is not attached to the frame as such
    left the forum March 2023
  • 98% sure that's a scratch. Might have been there since you bought the thing, or else something picked up by the tyre and scraped the underside of the fork on its way through. It's taken part of the barcode label with it.

Underside of my fork crown has multiple similar scrapes and abrasions which don't concern me in the slightest...
  • thanks guys I was at the bike shop this afternoon and the mechanic also reckoned that it is just a scratch and nothing to worry about, so panic over lol!