Bib Shorts

This is probably a silly question but do bib shorts need to be washed after every ride regardless of length?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I don't see what the length of the shorts has to do with anything.....

I'm sure you'll get different answers from different people, but for me, it depends how long the ride is and how sweaty I get - so basically on how dirty the shorts get.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    No - exactly as above and/or to your personal hygienic preference.

no need to boiltheshit out of them either .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rich96
    rich96 Posts: 13
    Sorry by length I mean length of ride
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    edited December 2022
    Based on the assumption that you are going commando then from a hygiene POV I have to say, yes. My only caveat is commuting, but that was always a concern too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    rich96 said:

Sorry by length I mean length of ride

that's the main part, however its all up to you.

.Also depends on clean you are generally - if you're all nice and clean down there you won't ming up your shorts as much as if you're some soiled dirty minging super turbo gonorrhea riddled skid mark leaving scrote hanging fetid hat lizard crowbag.
  • Personally I wash bibs after every ride, but I am either sweating on a turbo or out on the road for 3-4 hrs. If I was doing a short ride outside and not sweating, I'd be likely to wear them again before washing.

More important is to take them off asap once home, I have read sitting around in them post ride is more likely to get the bacteria brewing!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    Personally I would do, but I can't do that on the commute to work of course, though I am lucky as have a drying room, so at least they are nice and dry come the return trip.

The only viable reason I can see for not washing them after a ride, is if you showered before the ride, or the night before, and it was an easy ride where you didn't raise a sweat.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rich96
    rich96 Posts: 13
    Thanks for the replies very helpful.
  • Just a quick reminder that the Castelli sale is still on at Merlin and currently gives another 10% discount when added to basket (this also applies to a few other brands).

I'm in a quandary about whether to perhaps get another pair of bibs, along with a jersey or two, but I've put on ~6Kg since the end of September.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle

Just a quick reminder that the Castelli sale is still on at Merlin and currently gives another 10% discount when added to basket (this also applies to a few other brands).

I'm in a quandary about whether to perhaps get another pair of bibs, along with a jersey or two, but I've put on ~6Kg since the end of September.

buy them and its a goal to lose the 6kg

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868

Just a quick reminder that the Castelli sale is still on at Merlin and currently gives another 10% discount when added to basket (this also applies to a few other brands).

If the shorts and jerseys are ones you really want, will you buy them for your current weight, or the weight you presumably aim to get back down to?

When I put on weight the vast majority tends to go straight to my stomach area, and this area is incredibly stretchy on bib shorts in my experience - jerseys tend to be as well in the main.

If some new kit will help motivate you to get back to your previous weight and fitness, then personally I would say that is money well spent.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Castelli summer bibs are always cut below where the belly fat starts anyway. Not even an attempt to hold it in on those.