Modern Replacement - Shimano Deore BB52 Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket

The original spec of the Genesis Core 50 I purchased 11 years ago, included a Shimano Deore BB52 Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket.

Has this design been superseded by an improved version since then, or should I replace it with an identical component ?

Thanks for any help with this. Apologies if it is a daft question, as I am certainly no mechanic and not up to speed with new developments. Ta

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    edited December 2022
    You should try and get the same, although I suspect that if your BB shell is 73mm, then you can even get a road BB. The difference between the two is that the BB52 comes with spacers to be fitted to a 68mm shell.
    No reason to get a different one though
    left the forum March 2023
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2022
    offshore1 said:

The original spec of the Genesis Core 50 I purchased 11 years ago, included a Shimano Deore BB52 Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket.

Has this design been superseded by an improved version since then, or should I replace it with an identical component ?

Thanks for any help with this. Apologies if it is a daft question, as I am certainly no mechanic and not up to speed with new developments. Ta

The Hollowtech II hasn't been superseded with a new improved version but there are alternatives you could choose from.

The Deore is decent, reasonably priced and basic. These should last a year or two, maybe more depending on outside factors and isn't really designed to be serviceable (even though it can be flushed and re-greased if necessary).

There's a Hope alternative which is pricey, better quality and the cartridge bearings are replaceable:-

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/7542231/hope-hope-xc-bottom-bracket-68-73mm-stainless-steel/

I decided to try a Nukeproof Horizon bb a few months ago and the bearings can also be replaced. Can't say how much longer this one will last but it seems better quality than the Deore and it's doing well so far:-

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-horizon-shimano-bottom-bracket-24mm-/rp-prod187145

There are a few more brands of Hollowtech II bb's or Shimano's own XT, XTR, versions you could look at also.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    You can pay a lot for higher spec bottom brackets (and I have done so), but when you can buy the basic but still good quality BB's for not much money, you have to ask yourself whether it is worth it?

If that Deore BB52 lasted you 11 years, is it really worth fitting a higher quality one that might last you 2 or 3 times longer?
  • Thanks for the replies and help with this - much appreciated

The BB52 seems heavily discounted. I started to wonder if it had been significantly superseded by something much better (but still in the mid price range).

That doesn't seem to be the case and I think it will be perfectly adequate for my needs. £14.99 should last me two or three years, by which time I might be able to justify a Gravel Bike - or the current equivalent at that time.