Davide Rebellin - RIP

wakemalcolm
wakemalcolm Posts: 762
edited November 2022 in Pro race
Can barely believe it but I've read from a couple of different sources that Davide Rebellin has passed. Killed in an apparent hit and run by a lorry.

Very sad.

================================
Cake is just weakness entering the body

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313

He's only just retired from pro racing, what a terribly sad situation.
  • FFS... he was my hero... one year older than me and still racing as a PRO.
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    Brutal.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • That is terrible news. RIP
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You do your final race then get hit by truck the following week. How sh*t is that, his family must be in bits.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,213
    Very sad.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,913
    Probably the only rider whose career has spanned my entire period watching cycling. Terrible news.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Sad news. RIP Davide.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Today, the German lorry driver arrested for the traffic accident, whereby Davide Rebellin was killed in November 2022, was released from extradition custody in Münster, Germany.

However this does not yet mean he won't be extradited to Italy where he would be charged with 'Murder on the road' - a criminal offense in Italy – and 'Failure to provide assitance', a EU law. The German judiciary has 60 days to decide whether to extradite him. Apparently the man also has a say – he can refuse extradition and then instead face trial in a German court.

According to the prosecutors, the driver initially got out of his cab to look at what had happened, but then fled immediately. Investigators were able to identify the man based on surveillance cameras and photos by passers-by, who also reported that the driver clearly understood what had happened but nonetheless drove off.
    The vehicle, an articulated lorry, was found and secured at the end of last December, and examinations of the bodywork revealed damage that matched a collision with a bicycle. The experts also determined that the truck had been cleaned with a “strong cleaning agent” on one area on its bodywork, i.e. where the collision probably occurred.

By then, the driver had 'disappeared', and there was a warrant for his arrest issued in Slowenia Austria, Italy and Germany, but he wasn't found. However, the other week he voluntarily came forward to the authorities, with a lawyer, and was then taken into extradition custody.

The driver already has a record in Italy - more than 20 years ago, he was convicted for a hit-and-run incident by a court in Foggia, southern italy, and in 2014 his driving license was confiscated for a while by police in Chieti, central Italy, because of drunk driving.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    How these people sleep at night is beyond me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18