Sheffield

Thinking of buying a property in Sheffield for our daughter to live in. Wondered if any Sheffield locals could give ideas of areas worth looking at. She works at Sheff Uni, knows people around the Brinscliffe? area and currently rents in Crookes but she does drive and can work at home so is flexible.

Budget is only 200k tops which I know isn't a lot for parts of Sheffield but can't really go higher. Thanks
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563
    My sister lives in Sheffield in what is apparently a decent area by Ruskin Park and is in the process of moving out to the edge of the city (Chapeltown). I had thought that property seemed really expensive for what was quite similar housing to valley towns around here but having been looking locally recently it’s not actually much more expensive. I think their 3 bed detached was around £350k.
  • I spent 3 years in Sheffield, when I did my PhD... that was 20 years ago and it has changed a lot since.
    I used to live in Crookes, which was nice, if a bit student heavy. I'd say the west/south west of Sheffield is all nice. Personally, I'd love to live in Dore... 3 minutes to the Peak District and convenient enough to commute to the Uni or to town, probably expensive?... I have no idea about house prices, never looked into that
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,713
    My info is 10 years old but Crookes is student town.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    I have a friend who is a prof at Sheffield Hallam. He started off in Crookes and now lives in Totley which like Dore is good for escaping the city and not too far from the Unis, but again no idea on prices.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563
    £200k seems to around about the range for a 2 bed terrace in most of the areas mentioned. My sister's in Walkley was on the market at £220k - her partner works at the hospital which is right next to the Uni. There are others in the area currently on Rightmove that look in nice condition that are well below £200k but that could be Estate Agents bending the boundaries to include less desireable areas.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yeah thanks we'll just have to have a look. She knows a few areas but has no idea about prices. She quite liked Hillsborough too but it's wrong side for work/friends.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,212
    Hillsborough also regularly gets gridlocked. I feel S10 , S11, S13 and S17 are nice areas. I work Sheffield as a courier.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Thanks - am going up in a week or so to get more of a feel for different areas so will check these out.