Finally we have the option of a large (18") fully remote control floor fan!

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,578
Been after one for ages - there was always a Sealey/Lasko option, but only for the US market.
*Looks like that fan has been retired, and they have no replacement for it.

£105 is the best price I have been able to find, elsewhere it seems to be on the market for £120 - £132, so thought I should not dither and get it ordered.

https://growpro.co.uk/products/tornado-dc-18-floor-fan

There is also a wall mountable option (Different item) as well.

Tornado DC 18" Floor Fan

DC powered fans are regarded as the most efficient as they consume significantly less power than AC fans. A unique blade design produces a wider, natural wind effect combined with a remote control that can be synchronised to operate multiple fans creating the ideal fan for horticultural settings.

Key Features:

Low energy Patented DC motor
Patented 18 blade, dual ring fan design for a natural wind effect and wider air distribution
Sturdy metal fan
Oscillating or fixed position
Multi-protection grille cover
Wireless remote control
3 different types of wind function
6 levels of wind speed
Intelligent timer settings

My 5.5 year old Sealey 18" has this spec - when I bought it was £45, seems to be about double that now:
Maximum Airflow: 107m³/min(3,760cfm)

I am not able to find the specs for the Tornado one, but I'm 99% sure I found some yesterday that had it slightly over 4000, so only marginally stronger, but the 6 different speeds is what really appeals to me.
On the current one, I just have a remote socket, and have to choose 1 of 3 speeds before I begin the workout.

This has been fine for several years, but you know, marginal gains and all that :p

EDIT: Found the spec, the range for the tornado is 2001 - 4500cfm, so some 20% more powerful flat out, so potentially level 4/6 is about the same as 3/3 on the Sealey.

I will report back with a review in due course, should have it next week, but I also have a bit of a damaged knee currently, so not sure how soon I can give it a proper test.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Can it read your speed from Zwift/Smart Turbo and adjust the wind speed accordingly? :wink:
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    I do hope so!

Although I am very much a non zwifter ;)

Not sure when it is arriving, sometime this week I believe, no tracking details yet.

I've installed a decibel meter app, so out of interest will record the noise from the cleva fan on all 3 settings, the sealey on all 3, and the new one on all 6.

I'm sure you will all be absolutely thrilled and delighted to see those figures :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    The fan arrived this morning, had the day off, so spent about maybe 20 minutes assembling it - nothing too tricky, instructions were good.

Only minor gripe I can find so far, and it's purely because with my setup I need to step over it to get to my bike, is that it is marginally higher than the sealey.

Quality seems good, the swivel function I don't believe for me will prove useful.
    The 'natural' wind feature simply means it alternates between levels 3-6 in 20 second bursts - not sure if that is of any use or not really for my requirements, I'm thinking maybe not.

The remote is good, came with batteries, but I've put rechargeables in it anyway.
    Has a neat little holder should you want to wall mount it, and has a magnetic element so will defy gravity yet still be easy to extract.

I took db readings for all 3 fans from distances of 1m and 2m behind, and will post them up later for anyone who is interested, and a fair few people who won't be :D

I'm also carrying out a 90 min sweetspot workout later this afternoon, so will be intrigued to see how the cooling differs, if at all.
    I suspect it will be much of a muchness, with added flexibility due to the 6 power levels, and the remote.

Sealey on the right, Tornado on the left.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    IMO normal fans are rubbish, you want a blower type one (like the vacmaster airmover/wahoo)

I had a big floor one and it just pulsed the air and went everywhere (along with about 5 other fan set-ups)

A smaller more focussed flow is so much better.

I've got the vacmaster and even in summer, I have never needed it on more than 1.
    In winter I actually have to turn it off sometimes as it gets too cold.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    I think we are all different with how our bodies cope with cooling etc.

From the sounds of it, you are able to deal with the temperature rise much more effectively than me.

I know if I went vacmaster alone, I would not be able to make it through the majority of the workouts in my garage.

It's hot in there in the summer, but at this time of year, it's outdoor temperatures.

The vacmaster, imo, is perfect for face and upper body, especially with the 3 speeds, and the remote.

For my legs/lowerbody the large 18" fan really work for me, it just means I can get more out of myself, when I'm attempting to complete the VO2/Anaerobic workouts.

Yesterday on a 90 minute sweetspot effort, I ended up with the cleva on max towards the end, and the tornado floor fan on 4 out of 6.

I wasn't quite as blown away (pun intended) by it as I had hoped, although in reality it was never going to be that much more powerful than the Sealey, it was more the full remote bit that got my attention.

I didn't get to use it on full power yesterday, but I have a VO2 session scheduled for tomorrow, so I dare say it will get used then, as well as a threshold one at the weekend.

I will defer judgement until after at least one of those.

I did take db readings, using an app on my phone, for all 3 - results below:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I never used a fan when I turbo trained when I was racing. You just mopped your self down with a towel. I use one now but to be honest I can’t tell whether it makes any difference.