Gravel Wet Weather Clothing

So I’ve got winter boots, two bolt kind so I can walk & on really wet rides roadie tights just funnel water straight into my boots where it stays for the rest of the ride. Annoying on a road ride, but off road contains extra grit & muck.
Any ideas on how to negate rain running straight in through the boots gaiter? I’ve been considering mtb winter trousers for off-road rides unless I can alter what I’m wearing to negate it.
I use mudguards, lessens the problem but doesn’t get rid of it.

Comments

• use the cuff of a marigold to act as a gator.

My tights (pearl izumi anfib) have a built in cuff to stop the water going through the top of your shoe
  • Grab some neoprene socks too, great for cold and wet weather.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576
    Tights over the top of the boots instead of inside?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Marigolds might look odd, but I’ll give it a go.

Tights are “fitted” so won’t go over the top of the gaiter, tried that one last winter.
  • iantr
    iantr Posts: 31
    @pblakeney is right. Tights over the top of boots - the ability to do this is the only reason for choosing boots over shoes btw.

The other working answer is carefully fitted overshoes, preferably the type with neoprene cuffs - but then you may as well wear shoes rather than boots...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    @gustybh if you are prepared to spend a bit more, these may suit your needs, though I have seen that they size up small.

https://cycletechreview.com/2018/clothing-reviews/gripgrab-cyclingaiters-review/

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,622
    daniel_b said:

@gustybh if you are prepared to spend a bit more, these may suit your needs, though I have seen that they size up small.

https://cycletechreview.com/2018/clothing-reviews/gripgrab-cyclingaiters-review/

I just bought some. And yes, they size up really small. I've got skinny ankles/calfs so ordered Small/Medium. I could just about get them on. A REAL struggle. I'm going to buy the large as they seem like good quality. They will work great with my new Shimano winter boots.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775

daniel_b said:

I just bought some. And yes, they size up really small. I've got skinny ankles/calfs so ordered Small/Medium. I could just about get them on. A REAL struggle. I'm going to buy the large as they seem like good quality. They will work great with my new Shimano winter boots.
    I just tried mine on as well as it happens, also in S/M - there was no way I was going to get them on with them in the correct orientation, as the inside is really grippy by design.

The method I found was to put them on inside out, get them over the ankle, and at that point turn them the right way around.

'might' be worth trying that before ordering the large.

For me the bottom cuff looked like it would have space to go over a boot/overshoe, but I guess I need to try it with an actual tight/shoe situation.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18