Planet X Price Hike

A bit annoyed. Been putting a lot of stuff in my shopping cart over the last few days. Was waiting for my wife to give me her measurements for a rain cape I was getting for her. Went to pull the trigger just now but found my cart empty. When I went to re-add the stuff I noticed it's all just shot up! Buggers

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Don't worry - it'll all come back down in a week
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    It's the DFS way.

Once I added a toolkit in the morning (Full on toolbox affair) that they had for £9.99, went to look for other items to add, spares and what have you, went to check out, and they had put it back up to £79.99.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle

A bit annoyed. Been putting a lot of stuff in my shopping cart over the last few days. Was waiting for my wife to give me her measurements for a rain cape I was getting for her. Went to pull the trigger just now but found my cart empty. When I went to re-add the stuff I noticed it's all just shot up! Buggers

oh - you don't pull a trigger by the way unless you're some amateur lizard hat

#pedant'scorner
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    MattFalle said:

#pedant'scorner
    OK..breathe out..hold..squeeze.. job's a good 'un.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

#pedant'scorner
    👍👍
    #marksmanshipprinciples
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

#pedant'scorner
    👍👍
    #marksmanshipprinciples
    Photography with a long lens is very much like being a sniper ;)

• I am surprised they are still in business. 10 years ago they had some real deals... the 900g nanolight frameset for not very much money, the Gigantex tubular rims... now they just sell a lot of cheap tat using the names of collapsed companies to fool beginners. I haven't bought anything from them in years.
    As for the erratic pricing policy, that's always been a feature
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    agree completely - you used to find some unbelievably brilliant bargains and their own name stuff was really good value but now its all a bit, well, shittbh.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    A theory... Their whole premise was being first to import budget gear direct from China. Now everyone imports from China.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    They were also v good at tracking down warehouse clearances and selling it on. Now the warehouses have been cleared.

Tbh, up until a few months ago they were very good for smsll Campagnolo parts.
  • There is more... they used to have some good looking frames... remember those pink/blue/orange colour ones with the white band and black logo on the downtube... they did look ace and they were awesome bikes... now they all look shxt

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/planet-x/pro-carbon
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770
    I always feel its an awful name to have on a bike too. For the UK frame sellers/bike builders , I’d always go Dolan, Ribble etc on the basis alone :D
    Just seems childish?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • I always feel its an awful name to have on a bike too. For the UK frame sellers/bike builders , I’d always go Dolan, Ribble etc on the basis alone :D
    Just seems childish?

There are plenty of boutique bikes with horrible names: Orbea, Orro, Factor, Argon, Kinesis... they are all shxt names with terrible looking logos
  • MattFalle
    For z cheap use/smash up/throw away their aero bike ismeant to be v good.

Same as the ProCarbon

Not to forget the mega Ti frsmed

Its just the component shop side thats gonetoshit
  • MattFalle said:

Same as the ProCarbon

The Pro Carbon is 3 grand for a bike that weighs the same as my Preffisio... which I put together out of a 60 quid Ebay frame and some stuff I had hanging around
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Same as the ProCarbon

The Pro Carbon is 3 grand for a bike that weighs the same as my Preffisio... which I put together out of a 60 quid Ebay frame and some stuff I had hanging around
    good for you. well done. pat yourself on the back.

many people can't do that. the Pro Carbon also has disc brakes, a new groupset, more modern wheels, finishing kit and a warranty.

Anyone can build anything if they have the parts hanging around - its ridiculous to say "well I did x, y, z for £a,b,c"

I bought my S3 as a whole new and built it to the spec it is for far less than a Pro Carbon but I don't hark on like a fishwife.

• MattFalle
    Tbh though, the Pro Carbon is also better than your Dolan, butlets not go there.
  • MattFalle said:

Tbh though, the Pro Carbon is also better than your Dolan, butlets not go there.

Probably not, but in fairness I didn't register that the 3 grand version is the ETap one... so not a bad price then...
  • For a bit of balance, they had the London Road Gravel Apex edition with hydraulic brakes for £975 last week with a promo code, while the Free Ranger Rival was ~£1440.

PX, like a lot of other sites including Amazon, simply needs you to monitor prices to know the time of real deals.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    mechanical version is c.£1700, which, for mechanicsl Force which as we ll know is better than Ultegra isn't bad tbh, espesh hrn you thow one of their frequent discount codes on..
  • Not exactly on topic, but as we are talking UK bike shops. Went in the Ribble showroom in Brum on Saturday. Three staff in there, all sitting at desks looking on computers. Not a single one of them looked up or acknowledged me in anyway (the shop was empty, I was the only customer). I am sure they have a lot of browsers just killing time, but even so....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    edited December 2022

Not exactly on topic, but as we are talking UK bike shops. Went in the Ribble showroom in Brum on Saturday. Three staff in there, all sitting at desks looking on computers. Not a single one of them looked up or acknowledged me in anyway (the shop was empty, I was the only customer). I am sure they have a lot of browsers just killing time, but even so....

I went on a Sunday lunchtime in November and it was the same. I stayed probably 2 minutes, as it was a gravel bike galore... they had a nice road SLR at the entrance and nothing else of interest to a roadman.
    I also don't understand the point of hanging bikes up high on the walls... they are not pictures FFS

• MattFalle said:

mechanical version is c.£1700, which, for mechanicsl Force which as we ll know is better than Ultegra isn't bad tbh, espesh hrn you thow one of their frequent discount codes on..

Bottom line is, I used to see loads of PX bikes around, now I see fewer of them and they are the same bikes. I haven't seen any of these new breed on the roads round here. Hence why I am surprised they are still in business
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Bottom line is, I used to see loads of PX bikes around, now I see fewer of them and they are the same bikes. I haven't seen any of these new breed on the roads round here. Hence why I am surprised they are still in business
    agree 100%
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    How is it they keep selling ex-demo bikes when they don't have a shop where you can demo anything?

I fancied a Spitfire but don't think the geometry works for me. I feel like I need a longer head tube for the frame size so was thinking the new ProCarbon might not be that bad. Like MF says Force mech disc for 1700-2000, depending on when you buy. I could even go C2W on it. Prices have gone up by 20-25% in past year, possibly in line with others?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    me-109 said:

How is it they keep selling ex-demo bikes when they don't have a shop where you can demo anything?

Maybe they keep finding them from when they used to have a store.

• MattFalle
    normal caveat of journobullshit but the Pro Carbon gets good review, be even better with a decent groupset and a grand less - so Force it is.....

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/2021-planet-x-pro-carbon-ultegra-review/