Muc-off Dry Lube

Is anyone out there using this stuff? About 9 months ago I read a review of about 7 or 8 different chain lubes and this came top so I duly spent around £9.00 on a modestly sized plastic bottle. My usual post-ride habit is to stash bike in garage, stagger indoors, sit at bottom of stairs and contemplate hot shower. Bike cleaning is usually either 2-3 hours later or next day (never longer). Prior to holiday of 2 weeks I lubed chain and left bike in bike shed. On return took bike for short (post-holiday beer and food short ride) and chain was complaining. Back home, bike on stand, inspection and noticed chain was dry and lube was sooty dry also. Hand cranking on stand required noticeable effort and chain hopped about on rings . Cleaned chain, applied 3-in-1 oil and chain fully lubed and smooth as a warthog's left testicle. I've suspected for a while Muc-Off Dry lube is not so great as claimed and will stick with oil-type from now on. Any comments/advice very welcome.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Bought both the dry and wet versions a while back. Tried using the dry in summer but like you say, after only a short ride or two, the chain sounded unhappy and had re-apply. Multiple attempts with the same result. Just use the wet lube now.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • After trying multiple dry / wet / wax / PTFE chain lubes over several years I'm now back with sparing application of 3-in-1 oil.

Heavy enough to stay where it's needed, not so sticky it attracts dirt, doesn't wash away in light drizzle.
  • The dry lube used to be great but I am certain they changed it 2-3 years back (I have no proof, just from personal experience). It used to be much thicker and lasted several rides. It is now as think as milk and doesn't last, as highlighted above. The ceramic dry is still good but expensive.

I switched to Pedro's Ice wax which is much longer lasting and no chain squeal at all. I know lots prefer Squirt nut I have found that is poor in terms of its longevity and seems to need 2 coats on the chain to be any good.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,322
    Squirt is fine in the summer, but as MG2 says above longevity is not so good. Non-existent if it's wet. This seems to be true of all the wet lubes I've tried. I try to nurse an old chain through the winter using wet lube, then come the spring fit a new chain and use Squirt until the weather turns bad.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited November 2022
    Tried it. Didn't like it.
    Went back to Finish Line Dry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Been using it for a couple of years and not noticed any degradation in product quality to suggest it changed. I'll often have one bike left for weeks and not had the issue you did.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Similar experience to those above - the Dry Lube seems to deteriorate very quickly (had the same experience with "Squirt" . . . perhaps I'm doing someting wrong).

However, I pretty much use Muc Off Wet Lube all of the time (winter and summer) and it seems to do the job for me - may try something else when the bottle runs out but it's fine for the time being.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    what - this stuff?

tbh it ll any of thr MFs use and never had a problrm eith it: moved to it from either 3:1 or Finish Line wet but only because a friend sells it in his bike shop.

Used on all bikes

Pros: works fine, don't fling off,.
    Cons: well none really, but its just a lube so don't expect to turn from normsl bloke to Boonen because the dvertising told you you would. They're all the same tbh. 3:1 is as good as any.

I get home from a ride, dump bike, have shower. Wander down, spin chain backwards for 20 seconds splurge on lube, dump bike back on floor. As scientific as it gets.

I'll generally re-apply every 150k, I'll also clean the chain with degreaser every second or 3rd ride as I like a nice clean chain and cassette.

Never really had a problem and too lazy to change.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    As many have said I stopped using the dry lube, muck off brand. Its fine if its used and re applied often. I use squirt wax on both bikes now, no degreaser is the main reason. Does require more applications but still quicker than regular degreasing of chains and it keeps cassette spotless.

I use Morgan blue on my wife's, wet, what I was using previously. I used the dry for a while but it sat for a month or possibly 3 and I went to set it up for her and chain had completely seized.
  • MattFalle
    How long does it take you to degrease a chain dude?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I use muc-off wet lube all year round.
    I did try dry lube a few years ago, but got caught in a light shower and a couple of days later my chain was already starting to rust as the lube had clearly washed off much more quickly and easily than I expected.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

What’s a chain dude? Is that an acquaintance constructed from metal?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

what - this stuff?

tbh it ll any of thr MFs use and never had a problrm eith it:

Is this some alien language theMFs communicate in? Are other life forms able to comprehend it with training?
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    edited November 2022
    MattFalle said:

Longer than it does to back pedal through a dry rag, occasionally warm water and soap in winter followed by a dry rag. I can't be bothered with those chain cleaner tool things
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    MattFalle said:

what - this stuff?

tbh it ll any of thr MFs use and never had a problrm eith it: moved to it from either 3:1 or Finish Line wet but only because a friend sells it in his bike shop.

Bici e Libri?

• MattFalle
    edited November 2022
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

what - this stuff?

Bici e Libri?

Bici e Libri - que bellezza !🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

The Gina Lollabrigida of bicycle bookshops
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    MattFalle said:

About 2 months.
  • I use their all weather spray ,needs applied after every ride but its good
  • I used to use the Muc-off dry lube until it failed to get me round the Fred Whitton despite excellent weather and I had to ask the mechanic at the feed stop to lube my chain for me. I had cleaned the chain and freshly lubed it ready for the ride. This would have been 2017 so it wasn't any good then. I have moved over to wet lube now.
  • I was also disappointed with the high-tech chain-lubes. After reading quite a bit, I decided to try a couple of the wax-based lubes. What I discovered from the reading was that for wax-based lubes to work, you have to start with a very clean chain...note that this is NOT a new chain (which has crappy, oily lube on it that is only good for keeping your chain from rusting).
    The big learning was that either a new or used chain MUST be cleaned very well before you try putting a new lube on the chain. After reading and trying a few wax-based lubes, I have settled on "Squirt". It's very neat/clean to apply. It does a good job of shedding dirt and leaves a tenacious coating that keeps the chain clean. When the chain starts making a little more noise, just reapply. Takes 10-minutes including drying. I'm pretty happy with it and I ride on poor quality roads and in the rain a fair amount. I'm getting ~2500 miles on a chain, and the limitation is stretch, not wear. This is much better than I've had in the past and less work to maintain it as well.

Again, with was based lubes, the key is to do a very good job of cleaning the new chain. Check out this article that draws on experimentation from a few years ago.

https://biketestreviews.com/new-breed-chain-lubes-now-available/
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    The problem I have with squirt is that it leaves waxy residues on different parts of the drivetrain. The jockey wheels seem to get particularly gunked up and you have to use a screwdriver to scrape it off.

I'm not convinced you just reapply to keep it going because dirt will inevitably get in there, which is why I want to be able to clean chain, say every 4-5 rides. I've now gone back to Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry lube as the best compromise in summer and then Wetline wet lube in winter.
  • I settled on squirt too, I’ve found the finish line grunge brush super quick and really good for cleaning the gunk off before topping up