Wiggle returns - now charging?

When did Wiggle start charging £2.99 for returns?!?!?!?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    They still do have free returns. I usually use the Asda drop-off.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,602
    edited November 2022
    I posted about this last week on the 'bought' thread I think it was.

Looks like they changed about a couple of weeks ago.

Prior to that, they had not that long ago re-instated the free hermes returns, but yes now, both Wiggle and CRC are charging £2.99 for those same returns - unless you take out their yearly subscription, which I guess if you shop a lot with them is worthwhile.
    The Asda option had been the only free option for a couple of years - no good to me, as my nearest asda is some 20 miles away and not somewhere I travelled regularly.

Wiggle+ is £9.99 for 12 months, so I guess if you are going to be making 3 or more returns in that 12 month period, you may as well pay the £9.99 and also then benefit from theoretically quicker delivery.

Combine that with paypal discontinuing their reimbursing up to 12 returns a year if the original purchase was with them, I suspect it will make people think twice about ordering items now - well unless they are 99% confident of sizing etc.

@rwoofer

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Are they now charging for Asda returns?
  • @daniel_b Does that include items that need to be returned due to a fault/incorrect item, or do Wiggle cover postage in these instances?

Looks like they are using it to encourage take up of Wiggle+ perhaps?

Either way, surely this will discourage people from ordering, particularly if other online retailers have the same product available.

I haven't used Wiggle in a while, Merlin, Tredz, PBK and Tweeks have been the better options on my last few orders.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    No I'm pretty sure it states that if it's a return due to a fault or a wrong item that they will cover the cost - not sure if that means they issue a prepaid label or whether you can claim a refund.

I'm sure they are - £9.99, and I suspect if you have that membership you are maybe more likely to shop with them.

Last time I checked, Sigma and Wheelies were two of the larger retailers who offered free returns, Wheelies no longer do, so how long until Sigma drop it as well I wonder.

I am a 'member' of a company called keller sports, which I think is based out of Germany.
    The years membership which is £6.99 I think, gives a 10% reduction on all items, sale or full price, so is likely to pay for itself in an order or two.
    They do have free delivery if you spend over X amount, but critically they also offer free returns.
    Looks like they have a uk hub, so that is where the returns go to, and I suspect purchased items go through there as well, so as to nullify any extra charges.

I've used them a fair bit, and returned a couple of items, and it's been easy and their prices are very competitive, especially when they have a sale on.
    Sometimes they offer extra 10 or 15% codes, though frustratingly sometimes they exclude certain brands.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

Are they now charging for Asda returns?

Apologies, I'm not sure on this one, I don't recall seeing it as an option when I raised the last return, but as Asda is not an option for me, every chance I glanced at it and carried on by.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks Dan, I had assumed they would cover faulty/incorrect items but you never know!

Yes, Sigma do still offer free returns, I still use them once or twice a year and never have any issues.

I will have a look at Keller, not a company I had come across before.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Doesn't seem Asda is available any more.

Collect+ & Evri only - both £2.99 charge.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    daniel_b said:

No I'm pretty sure it states that if it's a return due to a fault or a wrong item that they will cover the cost - not sure if that means they issue a prepaid label or whether you can claim a refund.

Is that from the Distance Selling Regulations?

If it's faulty/wrong you get a refund including return postage.
    If it doesn't fit they have to refund the item cost but don't have to refund the return postage, but some places do to keep customers happy.

• daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    It may well be that they don't stock the brands or products that you are interested in, but for me, they stock 3 of my favourite brands, Ale, Castelli and Scott, and often have some well priced items, or even items that no uk retailer is stocking.

Alpinetrek are also worth a look, no charges and free delivery if over a certain amount (£75 I think), and as long as returned items are over a certain value, returns are free as well, and via royal mail - they are based in Germany.

Another (oddly named one) from Italy, but again with no extra charges is Lordgun bicycles - they do charge for delivery, and for returns, so you need to be pretty certain that what you are ordering is exactly what you need.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    thistle_ said:

daniel_b said:

Is that from the Distance Selling Regulations?

If it's faulty/wrong you get a refund including return postage.
    If it doesn't fit they have to refund the item cost but don't have to refund the return postage, but some places do to keep customers happy.

Entirely likely, I can see how it would be unreasonable to expect someone to pay to return a faulty or incorrect item.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Cheers, yes those aren't brands I tend to go for too much. Too be fair, aside from the allez, most of what I have purchased in the last year has been replacement stock parts, a fair bit of Sram and Shimano!

I have come across Lordgun but never ordered as the high(ish) delivery charges have always outweighed any cost savings on the items.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    This article from WHICH? states that a seller can ask you to cover the cost of return postage if agreed beforehand, but this "wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty".

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations-aAijb9Q8UT3V#the-consumer-contracts-regulations

Another reason to buy less from Wiggle though. Wiggle's stock and prices seem to be falling behind the competition, and Evri as the only delivery option puts me off. The last two items I've had delivered by Evri we days late despite it being the next day service.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    ibr17xvii said:

Well, that's a shame, there's literally an Asda round the corner.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ibr17xvii
    secretsam said:

ibr17xvii said:

Well, that's a shame, there's literally an Asda round the corner.

Indeed. That was my go to for Wiggle / CRC returns as well.

The list of retailers offering free returns dwindles by the week.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It's a hell of a cost for a business to absorb, so it's hardly surprising. I had to return some shoes to an eBay seller as the fit wasn't right. Using their returns service that was only £3.35 which was cheap for the size of box. Last shoes I returned to Planet X cost nearly a tenner once I'd added insurance. When you also paid postage outbound that can get expensive quickly.
    Charging for returns is likely to see an increase in try-but-not-buy shoppers at bricks and mortar shops who want to pin down an exact size to buy online elsewhere. That in turn is likely to influence the way that those retailers operate.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,329
    me-109 said:

It's a hell of a cost for a business to absorb, so it's hardly surprising. I had to return some shoes to an eBay seller as the fit wasn't right. Using their returns service that was only £3.35 which was cheap for the size of box. Last shoes I returned to Planet X cost nearly a tenner once I'd added insurance. When you also paid postage outbound that can get expensive quickly.
    Charging for returns is likely to see an increase in try-but-not-buy shoppers at bricks and mortar shops who want to pin down an exact size to buy online elsewhere. That in turn is likely to influence the way that those retailers operate.

They won't be paying retail price for postage, but yes a big cost still.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I ordered a 3 piece suit from Jaeger/ M&S only for it not be available one it was out for delivery. So I cancelled the order, I then ordered the same suit but in a slim fit version( get me ;) )
    I end up with 2 suits being delivered but only paid for one. When I contacted them, they said to keep them both as it was too much trouble to return it.
  • Long (ok, very long) post, but sorry.

Think about that next time you order stuff. Please.

To put this on the consumer is a cheap shot, people are only using what the business offers to them, why should I care what it costs them?

Personally, the only stuff I ever send back is poorly sized cycle clothing, now here's a thought, why can't WiggleCRC group (with their turnover of in excess of £400million) get all the manufactures to have standardised sizing across the board, (they can't even get their own DHB brand standardised) now that would certainly help minimise returns, (for me anyway).

• I suspect their sales of clothing and shoes will decrease without the free returns, as you often need to order two different sizes as cycle clothing fit is so variable.
  • daniel_b

I suspect their sales of clothing and shoes will decrease without the free returns, as you often need to order two different sizes as cycle clothing fit is so variable.

I think you are probably correct.

I'm in a relatively lucky position of having tried many different brands, and having a relatively stable body weight/shape, so generally know how my favourite brands fit.

Having said that, there are still occasions where I get caught out, for example Santini make jerseys in different cuts, but on the website I bought from it did not mention this detail, so one jersey ordered fitted as I expected, and the other was really loose, I guess a more relaxed fit.

That would certainly make me much less likely to see a brand I had not tried before, but like the look of a jersey or shorts, and take a punt on seeing what they were like.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    Looks like they have also now switched to Yodel - at least for the order I am waiting for today.

EDIT: Looks like they are using both Evri and Yodel.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164

why on earth would they (Wiggle) bother putting it back in stock, instead of simply discarding it at the earliest opportunity and minimising their losses?

Some retailers now chuck returned items in a box then sell the box as a job lot for
    someone else to sift through and use/resell as they see fit.
    That seems like a slightly better solution because Delboy and Rodney will have the time and lower overheads to do it, or some YouTuber will buy it and make money from the advertising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyqIxdkKXE0

• ibr17xvii
    daniel_b said:

Looks like they have also now switched to Yodel - at least for the order I am waiting for today.

Think it depends what you order. I've placed 2 recently & they both came with Evri.

No free returns is a proper pain when you're a bit hesitant about sizing. I ordered a Castelli jersey which I'm usually a medium in but for some reason the one I ordered is a proper race cut so is a bit on the tight side. Maybe my own fault as it's not a model of jersey I've had before but if I order 2 sizes to compare I either have to pay to return or bung it on eBay & see what happens.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    Agreed @ibr17xvii.

I've been using the paypal refunded returns for a couple of years.
    Up to 12 claims per year, and up to £15 per claim, a huge help on the occasions I had to send some items back to Spain and Italy with suitable insurance.

They are pulling it as of this month alas.

Your Castelli experience sounds like what I encountered with the btw speed suit.
    Ordered my normal size, and no way I was going to get into it without dislocating my shoulder/trashing the garment.

Luckily it was bought from Keller Sports, cost of returns was covered, and took a chance on the next size up.
    Still had to Houdini my way into it, but get into it I could.

Quite often with clothing I also feel you may need two sizes to try, so you can compare the cut and fit.
    Even if one fits well, the next size up/down may fit that bit better, but you can't easily determine that unless you can try them on back to back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,846
    edited November 2022
    There used to be a thing called "shops" where people would walk in and try clothing on before buying. Ah, the good old days. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    There still are, but they rarely, if ever, carry the stock I am looking for in the same colours and sizes.

Back in the day when I shopped at Evans by choice, to get helmets and mitts there for me and my partner to try on, I had to order them online to be shipped to store (Don't think they offer this anymore) rather than home, as the store carried literally none of the items I was after.
    Somewhat disappointing I thought, but that was how it was then, and that was some 16 years ago.

It's understandable of course, how can a shop with a small store room compare to a mahoosive warehouse, it's simply not viable.

Times have changed.

P.S I can't imagine someone attempting to try on a Castelli BTW speedsuit in a shop :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Its a bit “careful what you wish for” really. The big online companies have absolutely never been about growing the overall market for bike stuff (applies to any category of product really).

Their sole focus is to own as much as possible of the existing market, by killing off the opposition. Hence merger of CRC and Wiggle for example.

Now the LBS landscape has been sufficiently decimated to the point they are incidental opposition rather than serious competitors, the behemoths can focus on improving their return. It was always a long game. Which is now why their pricing is no longer as cheap as it once was, nor are the “sales” as attractive as they were, and things like delivery fees and returns costs are getting ramped up to where they should be (from actual cost perspective).

The end result is that manufacturers will probably make about the same as before, all the middle-men distribution companies will be squeezed out, prices for the goods will end up about where they were at your LBS anyway, LBS won’t really exist or cater for the spares and accessories market anyway, and the likes of CRC etc will enjoy greatly increased margins on the business.

The identical scenario is happening here in Australia. Way back in pre-internet shopping days, the local distributors were greedy, and priced their stuff at ridiculous numbers.

Online bike stores like CRC etc started making *big* inroads here, with pricing that was crazy cheap, and nominal delivery cost to boot. Example: in about 2011 I was building a bike with Campag Super Record 11 sp stuff. Had to get a new front derailleur. Rang (several) LBS, found in stock finally, at bargain price of $370, against RRP of $449 at the time.

Five minutes online and Ribble had one despatched to me, landed on my desk at work 6 days later for $145. Brand new.

My LBS owner at the time, from whom I bought a LOT of stuff, admitted that his cost to buy the groupset I wanted from the sole Oz distributor was in fact almost 10% higher than what I could order it for online from the UK including delivery. Add in any margin he might need to make and it was clear he was never going to sell any, so would not stock it.

There are two (or were) local companies who got into online selling big time here - Pushys, which is solely online a la CRC etc, and Bikebug, who also have a chain of actual shops. Good ones too. They both persisted with online, and have eventually done well.

Last year, Pushys bought Bikebug. Sound familiar?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    My LBS told me it was cheaper for him to get some stuff directly from Wiggle than through the official Shimano distributer, so not too surprising.