Just WTF!?

BBC Panorama. Tonight or on iPlayer. Just wow! Unbelieveble

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001dj03/panorama-road-rage-cars-v-bikes

Makes me think twice about commuting by bike now. The attitude is toxic.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    I caught the end of an interview about it on Breakfast. The pro cycling guy in the studio dealt with the "but motorists will argue that cyclists jump red lights, don't have registration and don't pay road tax" question from the presenter very well. I decided there and then I won't be watching as I have a new TV and don't want to smash it up in annoyance. TV clickbait.
  • Yeah, I've had to take a break from our local residents Facebook page as the number of drivers spouting such stupid stuff just makes me angry and depressed in equal measure. The thing is most cyclists and most drivers are either courteous or at least ambivalent but everyone focuses on the 0.1% on both sides which are arseholes.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,729
    BBC Radio 6 were running a news snippet on the back of this this morning, and they had arch-censored Rod Liddle on for comment. I mean, where the hell do you go from that?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,036
    Heard that snippet with the a-hole Liddle, just have to ignore that shite. 'Road tax' eh? Between the rumblewagon and the estate I pay £454 p.a. so if any dickwhacking car driver pays less than that then just take your effing place on the road Behind Me.
  • There was something on radio 5 live this morning but I only caught the arse end of it. Same old shite really.

The vast majority of us bike riders are also drivers, so we see it from both sides. The vast majority of drivers however haven't been anywhere near a bike, let alone try to get through a ride without being abused.

If they actually tried riding a bike on the road then they may have a different attitude to us, and get fitter in the process, maybe!

But even then you'll always have the 1% of dickheads from each side which fuel programmes and debate on the issue.
  • morstar said:

I refuse to watch this sort of thing as it just induces impotent frustration.

Road CC were spamming me loads of this sort of content and I had to stop looking.

Sad thing is, it’s the sort of content that gets a reaction so keeps getting churned out. The more it gets churned out, the more people engage and take a side on something they were previously ambivalent about.

It’s what delivered Brexit and Trump.

This, all the way!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross said:

I caught the end of an interview about it on Breakfast. The pro cycling guy in the studio dealt with the "but motorists will argue that cyclists jump red lights, don't have registration and don't pay road tax" question from the presenter very well. I decided there and then I won't be watching as I have a new TV and don't want to smash it up in annoyance. TV clickbait.

think he was Cycling UK guy, but yes...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,962
    orraloon said:

Heard that snippet with the a-hole Liddle, just have to ignore that shite. 'Road tax' eh? Between the rumblewagon and the estate I pay £454 p.a. so if any dickwhacking car driver pays less than that then just take your effing place on the road Behind Me.

Does that mean you'll dutifully take your place behind drivers who pay more? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Does that mean you'll dutifully take your place behind drivers who pay more? ;)
    Get behind me panzerwagonboi, take your place.
  • Why don't we use our total tax contribution from the previous year as number plates. Then if you see someone behind you with a bigger number you have to pull over and let them pass?

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,899
    orraloon said:

as it's a non-hypothecated tax based on emissions, it'd be inequitable to use it to establish precedence on the road

the correct basis is total uk taxes paid

over time, i've pointed this out to a few oiks, adding a cheery "get off my roads, peasant"
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

orraloon said:

That's not going to help Loon much :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,907
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

orraloon said:

I know my place. I'll be at the back.

Well, actually, I maybe I won't, as I'll have passed you all on my bike in the bike lane, while you line up to demonstrate how much tax you've paid.
  • orraloon
    Only the little people pay taxes. Per supertwat Leona Helmsley.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Seem to recall you said you were about 6'4" ?
  • orraloon
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Seem to recall you said you were about 6'4" ?
    6 foot 3 and 1/2
    Eyes of blue
    Big orra loon
    Is after you
    Nah na nah na nah na nah na

DYOR for the original. (Hint: a Manure defender...)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

orraloon said:

I know my place. I'll be at the back.

Well, actually, I maybe I won't, as I'll have passed you all on my bike in the bike lane, while you line up to demonstrate how much tax you've paid.
    I don't remember zooming past anyone riding illegally on the hard shoulder.