Amazon Music - Prime

Not Amazon Music Unlimited.

Well, they've gone and fucking fucked it right fucking up!! You can't listen to an album in the order the tracks are recorded, only in shuffle mode and sometimes they add "random tracks that are like that" into the mix! It's royally fucked. The fucking fuckers! They want you to fucking pay for fucking Amazon Unlimited! Wankers!

Anyone else noticed this update as of today? Absolute load of bollocks!

Pah!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Ah. I wondered why the app icon had changed. Will investigate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608
    Amazon keep reminding me I have an unused benefit, Amazon Music. Is it worthwhile?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,651
    rjsterry said:

Don't bother. You'll want to poke some sharp sticks in your eyes if you do.
    seanoconn said:

Amazon keep reminding me I have an unused benefit, Amazon Music. Is it worthwhile?

It was. It was really great. It is no longer.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited November 2022
    A bit off topic but a similar frustration.

I use a money app named HyperJar which I have been pretty pleased with. Allows you to split money into lots of separate jars and move it around really easily.

I have many jars which, until Friday were nice big icons with the name and amount clearly identifiable.

As of Friday, the icons are smaller and all the info is squished underneath and not at all easy to read. Everything is curtailed e.g. Spe…£50 in small wrapped font.

I have no idea why people break good apps.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

rjsterry said:

Don't bother. You'll want to poke some sharp sticks in your eyes if you do.
    seanoconn said:

It was. It was really great. It is no longer.

Thanks!
    Confirms my decision to delete the email about the unused app without trying it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I think they've changed their 'model'....

It used to be Prime gave you 20 million (or whatever) songs and and Unlimited gave you 100m.

Now Prime gives you access to the full 100m library but with constraints. Sounds like the album order is one of them. A bit like Spotify always has been - free is shuffle only from memory.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    grenw said:

I think they've changed their 'model'....

It used to be Prime gave you 20 million (or whatever) songs and and Unlimited gave you 100m.

Now Prime gives you access to the full 100m library but with constraints. Sounds like the album order is one of them. A bit like Spotify always has been - free is shuffle only from memory.

Not the way I find Spotify, there is a shuffle option but not mandatory. As aside, seem to get no ads now on free Spotify, can't recall last time. Not that frequent a user but it used to be an irritant years back. Then would have been via iPad app, now usually the Firestick version.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    By chance, I had an email from them just before reading this yesterday and before that didn't even know I had it available to me so I've never tried it. I guess at least if I do now use it I won't be comparing it to how it was!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,588
    Prime via an alexa speaker is very annoying. Constant rambles about how many songs are available before it plays what you asked it to.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    edited November 2022
    As annoying as having a piece of music spread across several 78s? My gran had one of these autochangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQEqzZPHGTY
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Increasingly finding myself going back to CDs tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,651
    ddraver said:

Yes, I've been buying a lot of 2nd hand CDs from Music Magpie. This is after hearing them on Amazon Music. It was useful to discover new bands/music of the genres I like. Might have to get a new CD player as mine sometimes skips on the last few tracks.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Spotify is great, why not just use that?
  • morstar

Spotify is great, why not just use that?

Because they dry fist artists?
  • morstar
    On a serious note, I don’t like that the algorithms have a self perpetuating feedback loop of similar stuff.

I have a preferred genre but will traverse very widely from it in my listening.

No matter how many outliers I throw in to encourage a broader spread of music, it suggest stuff based on the predominant genre. Or groups all the outliers together. What I would like is a vibrant mix of listening. Seems impossible to get.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    morstar said:

On a serious note, I don’t like that the algorithms have a self perpetuating feedback loop of similar stuff.

This. I can guarantee to hear certain songs every day as I listen for a fair few hours while working, regardless of which app used. Started my own songs on random but that means not hearing new music.
    Ideal algorithm would be to play similar music but skip frequently played tracks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495

ddraver said:

Yes, I've been buying a lot of 2nd hand CDs from Music Magpie. This is after hearing them on Amazon Music. It was useful to discover new bands/music of the genres I like. Might have to get a new CD player as mine sometimes skips on the last few tracks.
    The only reason I have Amazon music on my phone is that if you buy a CD from Amazon, you get an "Autorip" for free on to your phone. This feature is not available on all purchases (and obviously not second hand ones).

Regarding your CD player, I had a problem with mine a couple of years ago. It was not "seeing" the CD when inserted. A bit of research on line and the conclusion was that it needed a new laser unit . Bought one (c.£25 from memory) and replaced the old one through watching a YouTube video. I was surprised that no matter what the make/model of the CD player (from cheap to pretty expensive) the laser unit is the same £25 thing. My CD player is a fairly old Marantz job. Probably worth a bit of a search on line before binning off your old CD player - it was remarkably easy to do.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • morstar said:

I have a preferred genre but will traverse very widely from it in my listening.

No matter how many outliers I throw in to encourage a broader spread of music, it suggest stuff based on the predominant genre. Or groups all the outliers together. What I would like is a vibrant mix of listening. Seems impossible to get.

I'm finding this - Spotify gives 6 "daily mixes" of stuff, but what that means is I get 6 mixes of things that are very different to each other, but similar genres within the mix.

Why can't there be a single place with all of them mixed up. Maybe except my "Daily Mix Four" which today for some reason seems to be almost entirely Jazz Emu, Lonely Island and The Muppets.
  • That said, if you haven't yet experienced "My Brothe" by Jazz Emu, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmss2dJ__cI