Best VFM high end summer shorts

2»

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Just seen on the Wiggle Black Friday they have the DHB Aeron Lab shorts back on for £50.

These are very good shorts - I know only DHB but the poshest versions of DHB.

Easily the equal of most of the others mentioned here. Light aero fabric, flat wide bibs, hardly any seams, top notch pad, no logos to peel away. The fabric is so light I don't know how well they hold up to crashes, years of use and multiple washes but you can get two pairs for the budget mentioned at the outset.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,638

I am a big fan of Endura Pro SL. You can easily get them online for under £100.

https://sigmasports.com/item/Endura/Pro-SL-Bib-Short/PMGZ

They come in two leg lengths and 3 pad widths, so a good range of options to suit different shapes and sizes.

Think I bought two pairs in 2019, so got through 50,000km+ in them and hundreds of washes and still got life left in them.

I ended up picking these up for £65. Will let you know how I get on with them when the temperature warms up.

Decided against the castelli as I didn't like how low the front went.
  • I ended up picking these up for £65. Will let you know how I get on with them when the temperature warms up.

That's a good deal at £65, Rick.

I think you will be happy with them, definitely let us know how you get on when Spring gets here.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I had a fantastic pair of endura 3/4s that lasted from about 2007 to 2016 and I always vowed I’d use them more.

Their Movistar kit always looked classy and smart too.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022
    Tried them on in the living room.

Seem good. A few observations.

They size up pretty small, and there's not a huge amount of give in the material, so they feel pretty tight indeed. This is especially noticeable around the lower back where it really tries to hold everything in, and there seems to be a lot of material there; I wonder if that will feel very hot in the summer. I'm still a pretty skinny 60 kilos and even I am spilling out of the top a bit. It's a bit of an effort to put it on, and it's definitely compressive.

It's the opposite of the Castelli shorts I just threw away; they were extremely forgiving/stretchy material and there was basically no material at all above the bottom of your hips, especially at the front where it went very low indeed.

Definitely feel a bit of a pull on the bib straps, but nothing uncomfortable; they're quite elasticated.

The fit is rather like the rapha pro bibshorts I have, but with more material around the lower back and more elastic straps.

Not tried the pad on the bike yet but the pad feels remarkably hard. I went for the skinny pad and there's noticeably less padding going beyond down my thigh, so less chance of bunching.

Looking forward to trying them.
  • Where did you get them for £65?
  • rick_chasey
    Sigma link upthread, also I think going for £70 on CRC.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited December 2022
    That's interesting.

I would suggest the cut of them has changed in that case, as I am usually between 65-68kg, and fit into Small Rapha pro team shorts, and all the Endura Pro SL shorts I have are the narrow pad, long leg (Apart from a single short leg hotpants pair bought by mistake) and in size XS.

Castelli I also wear in Small.

The pad is not that solid on my PRO SLs, although admittedly they have had a lot of use, I don't recall that at the beginning, so potentially they have changed that too.

They also come across as very lightweight, super stretchy, and for me are summer style shorts, so maybe they have changed basically the entire short :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daniel_b said:

That's interesting.

I would suggest the cut of them has changed in that case, as I am usually between 65-68kg, and fit into Small Rapha pro team shorts, and all the Endura Pro SL shorts I have are the narrow pad, long leg (Apart from a single short leg hotpants pair bought by mistake) and in size XS.

Castelli I also wear in Small.

The pad is not that solid on my PRO SLs, although admittedly they have had a lot of use, I don't recall that at the beginning, so potentially they have changed that too.

They also come across as very lightweight, super stretchy, and for me are summer style shorts, so maybe they have changed basically the entire short :#

Or maybe Rick’s in-depth living room review isn’t up to standard 😉
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    Maybe I’ve just got fatter
  • daniel_b
    Did you have both feet on the scales when you registered your 60kg.......?

o:)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The longs are now stupidly long and the normal leg length the same as the longs used to be

About to replace my pairs for the summer. How much longer would you say the long in the new version are @First.Aspect?

Also, there seems to be a new version the Pro SL EGM (basically a new pad by all accounts). Has anyone tried these?
  • They also come across as very lightweight, super stretchy, and for me are summer style shorts, so maybe they have changed basically the entire short :#

Just an update, ordered these in short and long leg (size small). It is basically an entirely different short IMO. The material is far stiffer and much more compressive than the original short and they do size smaller, particularly around the waist as Rick's post alluded too.

The long leg is about 4cm longer than the previous long leg and the current short leg length is equivalent to previous long leg length as per First Aspect's post.

I am contemplating a medium as I find the small a bit restrictive. Seeing as how I am 57kg and very lean, seems a bit ridiculous with the sizing changes Endura have made.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah time for an updated review my side. Have been using them on the turbo and they are very snug indeed.

Feels a little short in length overall but that might be my body shape. Very tight around the pad.

Might be better suited to a longer legged/shorter body ratio than your shortarse correspondent
  • daniel_b
    That's quite a bold move for a short that has/had quite a following afaik.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Yeah, does seem a bit odd. Particularly as Endura is usually positioned more towards recreational type riders, a more race cut would seem to go against their core customers. They seem to have now morphed the regular Pro SL in to a newer version, the Pro SL EGM with a newly designed pad.
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951
    edited May 2023
    So, decided to return the Endura as I knew I wouldn't get on with the small and thought the medium were likely to be too large.

Had my eye on a pair of Albion ABR1 bibs for ages but they never seemed to be in stock in my size. Anyway, they re-stocked and got a pair a couple of weeks back. Really good shorts, fit me perfectly in a size small. The legs are long (about the same as the previous endura long leg length) and they have nice wide leg grippers with about an 1.1/2" of silicon banding so they should hold their grip for ages.

Pad is comfortable and the material and straps are softer than any other shorts I have tried. For £135 I think they are well priced and definitely seem well made. Albion also give you 60 day no quibble returns on worn shorts which is pretty damn good IMO. They also have a repairs service which I have used before and was excellent.

Overall the shorts, and Albion as a company are really good, will be keen to buy more of their stuff in future.
  • rick_chasey
    I read that they are quite long in the leg; is that the case?
  • Yeah they are Rick. I am slightly shorter than you I think. They sit around the top of my kneecap when standing and pull up a fraction whilst riding.

That's how I prefer leg length in shorts but may be too long for some.

If you had your endura in the regular leg length, they are longer than that and just a bit shorter than the endura in the long leg length (the new endura pro sl, not the old version).
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 411
    No one's mentioned Galibier, but their stuff (inc. shorts) are generally really good. eg.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/grand-tour-ultra-bib-shorts/
  • daniel_b

So, decided to return the Endura as I knew I wouldn't get on with the small and thought the medium were likely to be too large.

Had my eye on a pair of Albion ABR1 bibs for ages but they never seemed to be in stock in my size. Anyway, they re-stocked and got a pair a couple of weeks back. Really good shorts, fit me perfectly in a size small. The legs are long (about the same as the previous endura long leg length) and they have nice wide leg grippers with about an 1.1/2" of silicon banding so they should hold their grip for ages.

Pad is comfortable and the material and straps are softer than any other shorts I have tried. For £135 I think they are well priced and definitely seem well made. Albion also give you 60 day no quibble returns on worn shorts which is pretty damn good IMO. They also have a repairs service which I have used before and was excellent.

Overall the shorts, and Albion as a company are really good, will be keen to buy more of their stuff in future.

Not heard of Albion before, they sound good though from what you have said.

Have you ridden in them yet, and if so how is the pad and general comfort/quality?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2023

No one's mentioned Galibier, but their stuff (inc. shorts) are generally really good. eg.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/grand-tour-ultra-bib-shorts/

Our household a few Galibier items - a pair of gloves that weren't comfortable on me (dug in between my fingers) I passed on to my partner, and she was happy with them, has not used them much, but the black material on the palm is now shedding bits all over the place - they have not had much use.

Additionally a pair of shorts I bought, though this is a way back now, was a nasty shiny material, and had stitching issues, so I abused them on the turbo until they died.

Also a pair of overshoes I have been using only this year, are on the verge of tearing, and they are the heavy duty ones, which is a shame, as they are pretty good - not as good as some Northwave ones, but have been sound for commuting.

I don't have any of their jerseys, or other bits of apparel, and will admit on the whole I hear very good things about them, so it may just be that I have been specifically unlucky with those items.

On the positive side, from time to time they knock XS stuff out mega cheap for youngsters, so did grab a pair of XS bib shorts for my 9 year old (8 when she first had them I think) and they fit her really well (And look like they should last her a few years), and cost only £20, bit of a bobby bargain.

Also, their black and yellow (What a great colour scheme) foul weather jacket (I forget the name) did not fit me, no fault of theirs, just a bit high under the chin for me, but I have bought one each in a ladies fit for my partner and daughter, and again the one for my daughter was a £20 XS bargain - they get rave reviews, and are really good windblockers as well as being water proof.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2023
    Duplicate
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Not heard of Albion before, they sound good though from what you have said.

Have you ridden in them yet, and if so how is the pad and general comfort/quality?

Yeah, around 900km in them so far Dan.

Genuinely impressed, they really are very comfortable, the fit is compressive but not restrictive. The material has a fair bit of give and feels comfortable against the skin.

The pad is very good, more towards Assos Mille in terms of thickness but not quite as nappy like! I have noticed I don't slip or move around the saddle at all in them as well.

I have a couple of other pieces from Albion, quality is easily on a par with Castelli/Rapha/Assos and other 'premium' brands but at a lower price point.

As you are buying direct from them, customer service has, IME, also been excellent.

FWIW they also have old stock of the 2021 bibs at £81 a pair which are basically the same bib as the current iteration.
  • rick_chasey
    Shame about the length. I prefer a shorter short in general.
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2023

Not heard of Albion before, they sound good though from what you have said.

Yeah, around 900km in them so far Dan.

Genuinely impressed, they really are very comfortable, the fit is compressive but not restrictive. The material has a fair bit of give and feels comfortable against the skin.

The pad is very good, more towards Assos Mille in terms of thickness but not quite as nappy like! I have noticed I don't slip or move around the saddle at all in them as well.

I have a couple of other pieces from Albion, quality is easily on a par with Castelli/Rapha/Assos and other 'premium' brands but at a lower price point.

As you are buying direct from them, customer service has, IME, also been excellent.

FWIW they also have old stock of the 2021 bibs at £81 a pair which are basically the same bib as the current iteration.
    That sounds all very positive - did you choose the latest iteration due to the older cheaper one not being available in your size?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • To be fair Dan, I just didn't notice the sale section initially and ordered the new version :D

I have actually ordered a 2021 pair which have arrived. They are pretty much identical, the only minor change I can see is the reflective strip on the leg is a bit shorter on the current version.
  • daniel_b
    I applaud your honesty MG :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Hello
    You can contact the company by email at tech@volt.tech. You can find more information about Volt Tech at www.volt.tech.