Saris H3 "Silent" at Halfords

Rudeolf
Rudeolf Posts: 7
Does anyone know - is the Saris H3 "Silent" at Halfords the standard model?

It's significantly cheaper than those listed elsewhere that don't have "Silent" in the product name!

Anyone bought one from Halfords?

Comments

• The H3 has been under £500 in many stores since Easter, I got mine from Rutland for £485.

A slightly improved H4 came out recently.

No idea about a specific "silent" model, mine is definitely quieter than the ~4.5year old Direto it replaced.

Great in erg workout mode. Slight quirk with cadence going to ~50% actual at times in free ride, that might be because it doesn't like using gear ratios less than 1:1, so far been using my 3*9 hybrid which has 26/36/48 chainrings and 12-36 cassette.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for that, maybe Wiggle etc haven't caught up with the rest of the market!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    edited October 2022
    Pretty sure it's the normal model - I bought one from them a week ago and can take a pic of the box/unit tomorrow evening if it would be any use. Paid £474 but with discounts on buying gift card worked out about £430.

Hasn't been used yet so can't review it!

• It's just an H3.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I think I've said this before but I've had an H3 for over 18 months now with no issues - it's had lots of use too - several hundred hours anyway. For anything around £450 it looks a pretty good buy - I paid over £500 in a sports direct sale pretty sure the original RRP was over £600.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    No mention of a specific "silent" model of the H3 on the Saris website - they do describe the H3 as "near silent" though so I'd assume its the same thing. I've had one for about a year (from Wiggle for ~£500) and would also recommend it for that price. Mine is significantly quieter than the Gen 1 Kickr it replaced. Erg mode works well but so does riding it in standard mode using application like Rouvy or Zwift. The cadence is a little bit off as mentioned above - for example when I ride single leg drills it reads ~50% of actual and more generally it just fluctuates a bit but not a massive issue. If it really bothers you you can use a separate cadence sensor and tell whichever app you are using to read cadence from that instead. I've had no other reliability issues so far.
  • First ride, power is really close to the values from my p2m powermeter.
  • I think I've said this before but I've had an H3 for over 18 months now with no issues - it's had lots of use too - several hundred hours anyway. For anything around £450 it looks a pretty good buy - I paid over £500 in a sports direct sale pretty sure the original RRP was over £600.

Let me ask you, in those several hundred hours, did you need any service? I'm trying to understand the reliability and durability of this device.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    No never needed any kind of service, repair or adjustment.

There is a Facebook owners group where you can see issues some have had - the only one that seems common is over tightening the cassette can crack a top hat spacer which then requires a new one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    Mine starting screeching when climbing after several months and lots of use. I sent a video of it to saris, without any further ado they sent me a new pulley and belt in a very small number of days straight from America. Fitted those and been perfect for pushing on 2 years now.

I find it syncs with the visuals on Zwift much better on Bluetooth than on ANT+, and the cadence is a bit crap so I bought a cheapie one to stick on a crank. Otherwise, a great machine and great service.