Ultegra R8000 front derailleur chain rub

2»

Comments

• If its not set up properly in the beginning no amount of adjustment will fix it .
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,604

If its not set up properly in the beginning no amount of adjustment will fix it .

What does that even mean?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edward.s said:

The 7/8000 onwards setup with toggle link are often setup wrong as mentioned above - I suspect because the setup procedure is not like most other FDs. Its important to follow the Shimano setup guide.

this exactly. its a stupid design and a PITA
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    I'll send more photos later, currently at work
    (took these a few days ago). I guess these photos won't give you what you need to make an assessment. So far I've only adjusted the barrel adjuster and the Lower limit screw to try and reduce the rub in the lowest gear. I've moved the mech down a touch but it's within 1mm-3 as recommended.

• MattFalle
    sbbefc said:

I'll send more photos later, currently at work
    (took these a few days ago). I guess these photos won't give you what you need to make an assessment. So far I've only adjusted the barrel adjuster and the Lower limit screw to try and reduce the rub in the lowest gear. I've moved the mech down a touch but it's within 1mm-3 as recommended.

cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#megacool
  • MattFalle
    edited October 2022
    cable routed incorrectly, no? coming out of the front of the mech instead of the back and curling round
  • MattFalle
    edited October 2022
    here

• MattFalle
    remember when setting up you have the stupid 2mm grub screw hidden away so you can't see it that you need to adjust

• MattFalle
    Found this what was done when mine we did if it helps

• sbbefc
    More pictures. Big chain ring smallest sprocket. Small chain ring biggest sprocket.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    If anything it looks like the rub is coming from the inner guide of the derailleur so you need to wind it back inboard a bit also the tail of the derailleur looks like it could angle out a smidge. Hard to tell as pics can be deceptive. Also the outer guide should have at least 5mm or more gap to the crank arm when fully out. Any more and I'm surprised you are not losing the chain to the outside of the chainring.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• sbbefc

If anything it looks like the rub is coming from the inner guide of the derailleur so you need to wind it back inboard a bit also the tail of the derailleur looks like it could angle out a smidge. Hard to tell as pics can be deceptive. Also the outer guide should have at least 5mm or more gap to the crank arm when fully out. Any more and I'm surprised you are not losing the chain to the outside of the chainring.

The thing is, when the mech is fully out there's no rub when using the middle sprockets. So would it be a rubbing on the inside of the inner guide if that's the case?

Is there anyway of the mech going further in towards the frame to avoid the inner guide rubbing when in the lowest gear? I've done the lint screw to the max so there's no other way to do that as far as I can see?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,604
    It does seem unlikely, but bear in mind that the chain angles down more to smaller sprockets.

Can't you tell which cage it's hitting just by putting it in that gear and moving the chain from sife to side a bit?
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470
    edited October 2022
    By the pics it looks like the angle is inward too,disnt look square with the chainrings
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495
    edited October 2022
    Difficult to tell from the pictures but it looks like:

1) Third picture seems to show the rear end of the cage is angled in toward the frame whereas it shoud be square to the chainrings
    2) First and second pictures look like the cage is too low - bottom edge of thee outer part of the cage should be 4-6mm above the highest point of the big chainring

It could just be the photos but these are always the first two things I check when setting up a front derailleur.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495
    . . . just another thought - have you got the correct size chain for the groupset? and compatible front/rear derailleurs?

I doubt you would get the selection of the rear cogs if the chain was wrong but have you checked that you have not been supplied with incompatible front/rear mechs? Tried fitting a 10sp front with an 11/12sp rear once and had the same problem.
    Wilier Izoard XP