CAAD12 Si integration - no headset bolt?

Stupid question alert: I picked up an ebay purchase and having got home, it looks like the top cap should have a bolt as per standard headsets, yet it screws tight and true with a 5mm Allen key. Can anyone confirm this is by design? It's on a CAAD 12 labelled "Si integration"

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    It will be a standard size, and yes you should have one. It isn't what holds the stem on, but you won't be able to adjust it unless you get a replacement bolt. Probably if you stop off at a local bike shop to buy a tube or something like that, you could get one from the bin. Ask nicely.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    If it needed a bolt, the top cap would fall off... There are SI top caps which have the thread integrated with the cap (not sure if it's all SI top caps, but certainly some).

This image shows a version of it, where there is no separate bolt:

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Stupid question alert: I picked up an ebay purchase and having got home, it looks like the top cap should have a bolt as per standard headsets, yet it screws tight and true with a 5mm Allen key. Can anyone confirm this is by design? It's on a CAAD 12 labelled "Si integration"

I have something similar on an Orbea. The cap just has an Allen key shaped hole in it, you fit a smaller Allen key through the hole to tighten the expansion plug.
  • Thanks both, I knew as much but wanted confirmation before coming a cropper at 40mph!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    webboo said:

I have something similar on an Orbea. The cap just has an Allen key shaped hole in it, you fit a smaller Allen key through the hole to tighten the expansion plug.

My CAAD12 is like this.
    On mine the top cap threads onto the expansion plug. A 5 mm allen key expands the plug, then a 6 mm allen key tightens the top cap down.