V-Brakes

I've just replaced the brakes on my Giant Escape 0 with Shimano Alivio BR-T4000s. They seem to be working well at the moment but I'm concerned that the wee pin on the brake only goes half-way into the middle hole of the boss(?). Can you foresee potential danger of the pin perishing early due to its shallow penetration?

Sorry if my terminology is inaccurate.

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I assume you mean the bolt that screws into the boss that the brake pivots on.

General rule for any bolt is that it must go deeper into the hole than it is wide. I’d guesstimate that 50% more is preferable.

For example an M6 bolt should be more than 6mm into the boss it screws into. 10mm deep is probably ideal. Any more is probably just adding weight for no reason.
  • gummomarx
    gummomarx Posts: 64
    edited October 2022
    I mean the pin on the rear of the brake which enters a hole on the boss (see similar on image):

• mully79
    That’s the spring. Springs are pretty tough. Will probably last forever so don’t worry 👍
  • That sounds good but the pin is connected separately to the mount that the spring is engaged to.
  • mully79
    I’m confident Shimano know what they’re doing with vee brakes so not worrying still stands. It’s not under any real load and just pulls the pad away from the rim.
  • gummomarx
    gummomarx Posts: 64
    edited October 2022
    I'm a bit more content tonight having taken off one of the brakes - the pin's about 66% of the way in. I've found the depth of the ridge (see post below) is less than the depth of the replaced Tektro brake thus causing the whole issue.