Front shimano disc pad sticking

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,623
As you look at the front wheel from a seated position, the right front disc pad is sticking open causing some rubbing. How do I get it to retract normally again?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• seanoconn
    Brakes are only 5 months old.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Bring the bike to me, leave it here and take the bus home. You'll never know if it's sticking or not and your life will be happy and worry free.
    Alternatively, remove wheel and pads. Carefully apply brake whilst holding non-sticking piston in to extend sticky piston slightly. Clean all around the piston, then carefully push it back in using a plastic lever. Replace pads and wheel before test riding.
  • Push it back with a pad tool or a tyre lever
    Pull it on a few times if the rubbing persists loosed tge caliper bolts to re centre the caliper
  • seanoconn

Bring the bike to me, leave it here and take the bus home. You'll never know if it's sticking or not and your life will be happy and worry free.
    Alternatively, remove wheel and pads. Carefully apply brake whilst holding non-sticking piston in to extend sticky piston slightly. Clean all around the piston, then carefully push it back in using a plastic lever. Replace pads and wheel before test riding.

Yay! Holding the non sticking piston worked a a treat. It was actually the other side that was sticking closed.

But now there’s too much travel in the brake lever? 🤔
  • seanoconn
    I may or may not have removed the bleed port screw whilst playing with pistons.
  • veronese68
    seanoconn said:

I may or may not have removed the bleed port screw whilst playing with pistons.

Shouldn't have been necessary, if you've let some air in you might have to bleed them. Epic Bleed Solutions sell kits, I've got one of their universal kits if you want to have a go. Just pumping the brakes might do the job, some say leaving the brake lever tied back to the bar overnight let's the air rise to the top and can help. Might be worth a try rather than fiddling and making it worse.
  • seanoconn
    Oh poop. Tie the brake back or pump with the bleed screw in or out?
  • Bleed screw in. Try pumping brakes, if they don’t firm up, elastic band or tie wrap them pulled to bars and leave overnight. Release them next day and try again to see if firmer.
  • veronese68
    Sorry, just got back to this. What Wilberforce said
  • seanoconn
    Had a bit of time this morning so took the pads off, cleaned pistons thoroughly with alcohol spray and tested. Put back, centred and had the brake lever strapped up since 👍