Il Lombardia - 8th October 2022 **spoilers**

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,069
edited October 2022 in Pro race
Thought it was timely to create a spoiler thread ahead of the final monument of the season.

This year the race switches the start and finish towns from last year, starting in Bergamo and finishing in Como after 253 kms of climbs and lake views through the best of the Lombardia countryside.

The final has changed from previous editions, with two ascents of the San Fermo Della Battaglia climb, the first after 225 kms, followed by the ascent up to Civiglio, then the second peaking out at 247 kms, followed by a fast and twisty descent down to finish on the Lungo Lario between Como and the lake that bears the same name.

Most pundits expect a showdown between Tour de France winner, Jonas Vingegaard, who prepared with two stages win and second on GC in the recent Cro Race, and the Tour runner-up and defending champion, Tadej Pogačar, whose preparation has been more high profile with wins at the GP Montreal and Tre Valle Varesine in recent weeks.

Other contenders include former winners Bauke Mollema, Jakob Fuglsang and Vincenzo Nibali, plus Enric Mas, who won last Saturday's Giro dell'Emilia ahead of Pogačar, Romain Bardet, Adam Yates, Dani Martinez, Sergio Higuita, Aleksandr Vlasov and Julian Alaphilippe.

This race will be the final race for both Vincenzo Nibali and Alejandro Valverde, two of the biggest names of the sport over the past fifteen years.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Simon Yates is a non-starter, he withdrew earlier the week due to injuries sustained in a crash at last weekend's Giro dell'Emilia.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Michael Nieve's career ends with a bad crash 😢

Pozzovivo also down hard and abandons
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    A lot of people about to fall into the old Italian Classics are on Saturday trap.

Me included...🙈
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Just turned in. Bit dull I take it?
  • It's very pretty
  • Has allowed Hatch to warble on every 5 mins about Valverde and Nibs retiring
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Mad_Malx said:

Just turned in. Bit dull I take it?

I've always struggled to be interested in it. Maybe I find it dull because I'm not bothered
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Great effort by Mas. Looked a lot closer head on.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • "Planet Pog" 😒
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Is this the fewest posts for a monument ever?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Worst sprint ever by Mas. Goes while Pog is looking straight at him, doesn't even get level.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Race was fairly dull but very pretty. Background cycling
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Felt like a much stronger field than usual. Caught the last 11km and thought there might be a bit of jeopardy for the front 3 when the two chasers came out of the group behind but they never got close. It should be a really good race but just suffers from its position in the calendar.
  • Just got back after an extended stay in Mallorca.
    I guess I will have a lot of races to catch up on as the curtain comes down on the season.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Totally out of action this afternoon, what did I miss?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    JV made the race hard enough that only Pogacar and Landa could stay with Mas. Landa struggled to stay with them. Pog won the two up sprint as you would expect.

Valverde won the sprint for 6th and waved goodbye.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Poor Nieve. Rubbish way to end his career. I have been a fan for many years. I always found his years at orica interesting as he seemed so unlike the others.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Pog scored big for almost everyone!

Player Pick Points
    m.r.m. Pogacar 50
    red.rider Pogacar 50
    Dorset_Boy Pogacar 50
    takethehighroad Pogacar 50
    Dialatron Pogacar 50
    dish_dash Pogacar 50
    TheBigBean Pogacar 50
    ducknumber1 Pogacar 50