ride, wfh, arrange some non-gmc smiting, become hexajabbed, laze, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    edited September 2022
    Morning

Windy, wet and 'orrible.
    Wonder if Fort Loon is watertight after demolition work.

Porker gearbox* re-assembled and ready to rock and roll. Just waiting on new gearbox mount.

*Damn selector rod issue. I think that it had been man handled at some point before getting to me all those seemingly eons ago. Was going to sack it but when I split it, the teeth and syncromesh was in such beautiful condition, I thought I would never get another second hand one like that.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Knee still sore so went for a quick blast of a bike - should have worn gloves 🥶

Work and hopefully less manic today, swim then pub later
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Windy, yes; wet, ish; watertight? tbc. Plumber due this morning to do some more garage facilities fettling. Plus avec frère will crack on (spark on? Nah) with the electrics. Damn sight less physical day that demo day yesterday.
  • @pinno are you an actual grease monkey or just a tinkerer? Either way it sounds like you sort of know what goes where.

Gym before work and quite possibly a decent swim tonight as the lanes are on for 90 minutes. This might have to be my go-to session for IM training as all others are only 60 minutes.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

Gym before work and quite possibly a decent swim tonight as the lanes are on for 90 minutes. This might have to be my go-to session for IM training as all others are only 60 minutes.

Unless you get faster?
  • thistle_
    'ning

Went for a gentle run this morning while the weather was still reasonable.

WFW today and planning what to do at the weekend.
  • @thistle_ I don't think 2.4 miles inside 60 minutes is achievable for me...

I did up my running last night though and felt the best I have in a very long time.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

@pinno are you an actual grease monkey or just a tinkerer? Either way it sounds like you sort of know what goes where.

I am a fully qualified mechanical engineer (BTech national diploma + City and guilds part 1 and 2). I quickly realised that unless you are on the top few rungs of a ladder (to a glass ceiling), it's a thankless, dirty, underpaid and knackering vocation.
    The theory is all there imprinted in my head from the training. What I lack, having not been in the trade for long, is the practical experience. So, the basics like: reading a wiring diagram or understanding a mechanical principle/effect, testing etc is there. It just takes me twice as long as a half decent mechanic but ultimately, the fixing is never as hard as you imagine but the diagnosing can be.
    I did choose a rather complex restoration in a 944 Porker. Mini's and Fords and old Merc's are a helluva lot simpler. It has been a steep learning curve and I have learnt so much.
    I know this model more than any other vehicle I know bar a Mini which is about a fifth of the complexity.

[asleep yet?]

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

@thistle_ I don't think 2.4 miles inside 60 minutes is achievable for me...

I did up my running last night though and felt the best I have in a very long time.

Get some swimming training - I started just before lockdown and went from pants to average
  • I have had one coaching session where we were filmed, that was in and out of lockdowns and then the follow up cafe session to look at weaknesses.
    That brought me on massively because any one can swim but actual swimming is a lot different and you can learn a lot from youtube etc if you take the time to put it into practice in the pool.

My swim time for the 1/2 iron distance was 48 minutes and TBH I wasn't particularly comfortable in my wet and trisuit combination.

I'm hoping for a sub 2 hour swim in July...

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • @pinno fair enough, a few people I know are mechanics and don't particularly enjoy it. I suppose when you leave school/college and have an actual interest in cars, rather than seeing them as a mode of transport the career path is more appealing.

Any pics of the car currently?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    pinno said:

[asleep yet?]

Yep :smile:

MRI scan this afternoon but seems to be getting a bit better today anyway (famous last words). More WHFH for now then it's a lazy weekend as I need to rest...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno

@pinno fair enough, a few people I know are mechanics and don't particularly enjoy it. I suppose when you leave school/college and have an actual interest in cars, rather than seeing them as a mode of transport the career path is more appealing.

Any pics of the car currently?

None of them very interesting. Plenty of the underside. It will go in for bodywork/respray once I am over this final obstacle.

https://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24357
  • Sent the visitors off for a day on their own, so we'd have some peace and quiet. Resumed garden tidy up works for a while, with occasional beaks to sit in the sun and snooze

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

pinno said:

@pinno are you an actual grease monkey or just a tinkerer? Either way it sounds like you sort of know what goes where.

I am a fully qualified mechanical engineer (BTech national diploma + City and guilds part 1 and 2). I quickly realised that unless you are on the top few rungs of a ladder (to a glass ceiling), it's a thankless, dirty, underpaid and knackering vocation.
    The theory is all there imprinted in my head from the training. What I lack, having not been in the trade for long, is the practical experience. So, the basics like: reading a wiring diagram or understanding a mechanical principle/effect, testing etc is there. It just takes me twice as long as a half decent mechanic but ultimately, the fixing is never as hard as you imagine but the diagnosing can be.
    I did choose a rather complex restoration in a 944 Porker. Mini's and Fords and old Merc's are a helluva lot simpler. It has been a steep learning curve and I have learnt so much.
    I know this model more than any other vehicle I know bar a Mini which is about a fifth of the complexity.

[asleep yet?]

Nows the time to get back into engineering experience or not such is the shortage of engineers. Yrs ago you needed to be multiskilled but such is the shortage that it doesnt matter now, tbh the training is so diluted that a lot of multiskilled guys are mediocre at best and useless at worst. Continental shifts will get you 46 to 50k without overtime in some industry areas.
    You're suggesting that Pinno gets a job? Steady on now...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

pinno said:

[asleep yet?]

Nows the time to get back into engineering experience or not such is the shortage of engineers. Yrs ago you needed to be multiskilled but such is the shortage that it doesnt matter now, tbh the training is so diluted that a lot of multiskilled guys are mediocre at best and useless at worst. Continental shifts will get you 46 to 50k without overtime in some industry areas.
    You're suggesting that Pinno gets a job? Steady on now...
    Yep, echo this. Wash your mouth out oxo.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Fckin' grim. Otter's pocket.

Hot shower has restored my equilibrium.
  • thistle_
    Thought my tooth/face/head ache from earlier in the week had gone away but it's returned with a vengence this afternoon :neutral:
    Hope it stays away for the weekend.
  • Stevo_666
    Been MRI'd, quite relaxing lying down with some headphones on. Mrs. 666 is helping our resident Ukrainian with her English using a Michael Morpurgo book. She seems keen to learn and it'll help as she wants to get a job.

Time for a drink soon the lie on my back some more and watch the box. If I'm going to be an invalid, may as well chill a bit.
  • seanoconn
    Would have got soaked cycling home but for the admiral performance of my Non cycling specific rain coat jobby with helmet compatible peaked hood. Bone dry and cozy.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Would have got soaked cycling home but for the admiral performance of my Non cycling specific rain coat jobby with helmet compatible peaked hood. Bone dry and cozy.

Like this?:

• pinno
    oxoman said:

pinno said:

[asleep yet?]

I am still toying with the idea of a degree in engineering.
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Like this?:

Ooh nice.

This but blue

• thistle_
    pinno said:

Freshers' week :smiley:
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Like this?:

Ooh nice.

This but blue

Looks like good train spotting gear.
  • Stevo_666
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

Good idea, but is he fresh enough to be allowed in? :p
  • seanoconn said:

Did it keep your feet and shorts dry? Or do you sensibly have front and rear mudguards, making that less important.

My jacket today was heavy shower proof, so not too bad. Bottom half disastrous.
  • If I bin or sell the bikes that are never used, I'll then have space in the asgard for a "wet" bike, a proper road bike and maybe a mountain bike, though that should live in Somerset.

I wonder if the fcukers would even notice.
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

Does the OU have a freshers week?!
  • pinno

If I bin or sell the bikes that are never used, I'll then have space in the asgard for a "wet" bike, a proper road bike and maybe a mountain bike, though that should live in Somerset.

I wonder if the fcukers would even notice.

Probably not. How convenient.