Giro in Abruzzo next year!

Last year it went through my village for the first time, so can't beat that.

Day 1 is a TT along the Costa dei Trabocchi, and a newish cycle path.

Day 2 looks like one for the sprinters, mainly flat along the coast but with a diversion inland to the city/town of Chieti.

Day 7 is the big one, the first mountain finish at Campo Imperatore. I rode up there for the first time in May this year, it is spectacular, but the weather could be a massive problem.

This is Santo Stefano di Sessanio, which is beautiful and on the route to Campo. It suffered in the 2009 quake, and the population is so low there are schemes where they help you to set up business there.

Near the summit, I can't describe what it is like riding here. I had thought the climb would be easy, as it was just a long, long drag. But by the time you get here, you are done, and then th gradient goes up.

The landmark hotel at the top. Mussolini was placed under house arrest here following the Italian surrender. The Germans wanted him as a figurehead to keep Italy in the fight, so they sent paratroopers and gliders in, and whisked him away in a Fiesler Storch.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited September 2022
    Que bellezza!

Dave - where are you? Casa MF is that way as well, Giro went past the end of the road by Ovindoli/Rocca di Mezzo last year on the way to Rocca di Cambio
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Been up there to climb Gran Sasso but would love to go back by bike. Absolutely stunning up on that plateau, almost like something you'd expect to find in South America.

• davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    MattFalle said:

Que bellezza!

Dave - where are you? Casa MF is that way as well, Giro went past the end of the road by Ovindoli/Rocca di Mezzo last year on the way to Rocca di Cambio

I'm the other side of Chieti from there, so it is a looong ride for me. I cheated and drove as far as Capestrano, then rode it. We had it pass through our village, it was a great party! Will you be out in 2023?
  • davep1
    mrb123 said:

Been up there to climb Gran Sasso but would love to go back by bike. Absolutely stunning up on that plateau, almost like something you'd expect to find in South America.

There is actually a cowboy style restaurant log cabin place on the plain before the climb, did you see that? Ristoro Mucciante. They were cooking the Abruzzo delicacy, arrosticini as I went by, smelled lovely!
  • mrb123
    davep1 said:

mrb123 said:

There is actually a cowboy style restaurant log cabin place on the plain before the climb, did you see that? Ristoro Mucciante. They were cooking the Abruzzo delicacy, arrosticini as I went by, smelled lovely!
    Had plenty of the arrosticini when we were there. Salty as hell but go very nicely with a cold beer.

We were staying down at Sulmona which is a lovely little town.

• MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    davep1 said:

MattFalle said:

Que bellezza!

I'm the other side of Chieti from there, so it is a looong ride for me. I cheated and drove as far as Capestrano, then rode it. We had it pass through our village, it was a great party! Will you be out in 2023?
    We're on the Raino side, so would be looong ride to there.

May well be - let me had onto Giro website.

Tbh though, fly into Pescara and drive up....
  • davep1
    MattFalle said:

davep1 said:

MattFalle said:

Que bellezza!

We're on the Raino side, so would be looong ride to there.

May well be - let me had onto Giro website.

Tbh though, fly into Pescara and drive up....
    Yeah, might need to check a long range weather forecast before booking anything though! I had glorious weather in May this year, well, too hot really for nearly 5 hours of climbing and 2300m! but up there it turns very quickly, and very nastily...
  • MattFalle
    Agree - well its a blimmin' big hill that's really exposed tbh, do you'd expect petulant weather.

May through to end of Aug was stupid hot though - fsir paly for pedallin' up.
  • I'm highly wondering if the Gavia will be in the Giro-2023 route.

I was in Edolo 12 days ago with a cycling group and the manager of our hotel, thinking we might ride the Gavia the next morning, told us we couldn't as it was closed for re-surfacing.
    The Gavia wasn't in our plans - earlier that day we had come from Dimaro over the Tonale, some of the group also over the Mortirolo, so we had gone past the foot of the Gavia a bit after Noon on our way to Edolo. And next day we carried on westward, over the Croce di Salven and the Presolana to Clusone.
    However, resurfacing of a pass in Italy or France is often a sign that that pass is going to be used in the GT of the following year.

And I agree about this by mrb123
    mrb123 said:

Sulmona which is a lovely little town.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    jimmyjams said:

I'm highly wondering if the Gavia will be in the Giro-2023 route.

I was in Edolo 12 days ago with a cycling group and the manager of our hotel, thinking we might ride the Gavia the next morning, told us we couldn't as it was closed for re-surfacing.

The Gavia surface (from/to Bormio) was shocking in July. I'd go as far as to say it was downright dangerous to descend. I went slowly. It could be resurfaced for the Giro, but it needs it regardless.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

davep1 said:

mrb123 said:

Had plenty of the arrosticini when we were there. Salty as hell but go very nicely with a cold beer.

We were staying down at Sulmona which is a lovely little town.

Agree 100% - Sulmona is lovely - that and L'Aquila are our nearest bigl places.

Sulmona is also the centre of he confetti world, as per our Sulmona fridge magnet

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I'd be up for a BR Pro Race meetup and couple of days or a week of riding next year. Just sayin'... 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • MattFalle
    vino rosso and pizza at heavy metal pizza man, the best pizza in italy?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    MattFalle said:

pizza at heavy metal pizza man, the best pizza in italy?

I'm even more interested now!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • MattFalle
    ah, mec, its pizza to die for. seriously.

the sort of pizza you drive an hour out of your way for. have to book at least a week in advance or not a chance of a table.

the nfnatn of pizza

best

pizza

ever.
  • MattFalle
    Gelataria 250 metres away also got "one of top in in Italy award" but, tbh, one next door is nicer.
  • davep1
    edited September 2022
    +1 for Sulmona, beautiful place! We managed to talk our way into a tour of the WW2 POW camp there a few years ago, fascinating place. My Mrs ended up writing a novel about it and the chaos following the surrender in '43.
    Best pizza in my experience is here - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063439437361&rf=241811702626244

Which would be a good place to stop on your return from the 50km sea to summit of the Blockhaus ride -
    https://www.strava.com/activities/646054817
  • mrb123
    Kilometro 00 for pizza in Sulmona. Tiny little place. No set menu - you pick your base and then toppings from a selection of meats, cheeses and veggies, all locally produced.