Altus ST-EF51 3 speed shifter issue, no 3rd!

Hi all, I was messing with a Mongoose Vanish over the weekend with a 3x7 Altus ST-EF51, I was unable to get to 3rd on the from mech, so i took off the cap and the issue seem that the pawl/ratchet doesn't engage until the lever has been pulled almost all of of movement. it looks as though there is a spring that's popped off but i cant really see if that the case or not, and it looks like there are a lot of springs in there if i pull fully apart.......!

Just wondering of anyone knows how to fix or is it just easier to replace? If so can anyone suggest an alternative, its a brake combination for mechanical discs.

Ill pop up an image so you can see what the issue is.
Cheers
Martin

Comments

• I have a video but it won't allow to add so here is a still

I think this bit that arrow is pointing to should have a spring clip keeping it attached to the teeth on the ratchet?
  • I have fixed it, the spring had indeed popped off and the pawl was flapping in the wind, Ive eventually got it back together (took 1.5 hours mind). and works a treat now, there is a but though.....

When i move from 1 to 2 the chain skips straight to the largest ring, then if i go to 3 the chain pops straight off the largest ring!

I didnt get time last night to investigate more but assuming this is a set up issue, if anyone knows better id appreciate a pointer.

Cheer
    Martin
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Sounds like a set up issue, best to go back to the beginning. Look at some videos on You Tube or the Park Tools website. Sounds like the limit adjusters may be out if it will overshift like that, easier to watch a video than explain it in writing I'm afraid.