105 shifters

Hello All,

I am looking for some advice. I have a road bike with 11 speed cassette and triple chain ring. Everything on the bike is 105, fitted when new. Last week, whilst out riding with the chain in the big ring, it became very difficult to shift into the middle ring. On returning home, I put the bike back into the big ring while cleaning it and now it won't shift at all. I have removed the hood covers and given a good spray with WD40 to clean it up a bit and shift any grit etc, but no change.

Next move is to remove the cover to expose where the cable is attached to the shifter. If this turns out to be worn or broken, I guess I will need new shifters (the bike is about 9 years old so this is possible, I suppose).

If this is the case, can anyone suggest a supplier for new shifters, please? I saw these: https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-gear-levers-shifters/shimano-105-st-r7000-shifters-for-mechanical-shift-and-brake-pair/11746853.html?autocomplete=productsuggestion

Would these be suitable? It doesn't specify whether they work for triple chain rings. I'm not an experienced mechanic, so any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The r 7000 shifters will not do triple chain rings.
    If it is a cable problem you should not need new shifters.
    First thing I would do is disconnect the cable and make sure the front mech is not seized.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for the advice, both.

I have disconnected the cable at the front mech, but when I move the shifter it doesn't create any movement in the cable when I pull it tight to simulate it being connected to the derailleur. Next job is to open up the shifter itself, I suppose. I hope it's just a seized cable as new shifters are expensive!
  • If it’s a 105 triple I’m guessing it’s 5600 or 5700 series. That would make it 10 speed, not 11. The early 5603 left hand shifters were designed to be used with both double and triple chain sets, but had a habit of breaking. Mine did exactly that, but I was lucky to find a used 5703 shifter on eBay which has been fine for going on 10 years. Sounds like you need to find another LH shifter for a triple chainset. Dismantling Shimano shifters is not for the faint hearted, and pretty pointless since you cannot buy the internal components anyway.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470
    edited September 2022
    Sounds like the cable has eventually become stuck ,see this a fair bit with jagwire cables
    Replace the cabke would be my first call ,and don't pull it all through the shifter just incase. Cut it as close as possible to the shifter to minimise the amount of rubbish you pull through the shifter
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thank you for the feedback, guys. You are right, Munsford, it is a 10 speed.

The bike has been regularly serviced and had new cables about 2 years ago. I've got a mate who knows more about these sorts of things than me (which isn't difficult), and hopefully it will turn out to be just a cable issue as I don't fancy shelling out for a new shifter (if I can find one). I suppose another option would be to change to a compact double with new shifters, but then I suppose I would also need the chainring, new derailleurs and a chain. It's my "best" bike, a titanium frame, so it might be worth it.