Labour

So I recently decided to build and custom paint a bike to get a better understanding of them and because I thought it would look really great when done. I got the majority in but struggled with the internal cables (turns out I managed to get them crossed and had the wrong things going to the wrong place) I took the bike to get looked over because I couldn't get the cables to work and also it being the first time I had done anything like this wanted to make sure that it wouldn't fall apart on me during a ride.
It was 70 for the service and apparently an extra 70 for the cables, even though I had supplied all cables for gears and derailleur. I then got a call saying that they were charging an extra 50 for the hydraulic part. Should this not be included in the whole 70 for the gears/ cable thing rather than as an extra also I am curious is labour costs charged per item worked on as a whole on the bike?

Comments

• So they charged you nearly £200 to recable a bike ?

Seems a lot - but it's why I think I'll stick with rim brakes and external cables.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • 70 was a bike check, fine, but I didn't expect 70 for some cables especially as I had supplied them so figure it would just be labour costs, I forgot to mention I did also inc new tyres to be replaced as The old ones were dead. So okay I accept cost to be about 80. But yes now I am getting told about 190.
    I was debating shifting the gears to rim but didn't think the bike supported that
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited September 2022
    What frame was it ? Some are awful for internal routing ,especially older ones when it was first a thing
    Personally I wouldn't use any supplied parts to a customer bike.
    Sounds like they had to Undo what you done and start again with the cables so
    £70 to check it all over
    £60 to supply and fit new inner and outer cables * internal routing )
    £20×2 for front and back brake bleeds (£40)
    Plus consumables
    Seems not far away to me
  • What frame was it ? Some are awful for internal routing ,especially older ones when it was first a thing
    £70 to check it all over
    Plus consumables
    Seems not far away to me

Okay thats good to know! Was a Giant Liv Avail so I think 2018 it was pretty tough when I was trying the holes were very small.
    The cables were not used as I practiced with an old set so sealed. If i had to get parts replaced is it better than to not supply?
  • What frame was it ? Some are awful for internal routing ,especially older ones when it was first a thing
    £70 to check it all over
    Plus consumables
    Seems not far away to me

Okay thats good to know! Was a Giant Liv Avail so I think 2018 it was pretty tough when I was trying the holes were very small.
    The cables were not used as I practiced with an old set so sealed. If i had to get parts replaced is it better than to not supply?
    Bike mechanic hourly rates are not the best so some of it is made up with supplying parts with the mark up
    I would also suggest some bike shops could fit a supplied part and if it goes wrong ,possibly by error they can also wash their hands if it and say you supplied it must be faulty .
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134

What frame was it ? Some are awful for internal routing ,especially older ones when it was first a thing
    £70 to check it all over
    Plus consumables
    Seems not far away to me

Depends on who you're getting to do the work. If you're giving to a shop, I'd say it is bad form to supply a part that they sell, especially something universal like cables.

They will have a mark up on that part, you're giving that mark up to someone else.

Conversely, I would be pretty peeved if a shop wouldn't fit a part for me for something they didn't sell e.g. when I changed my bars to a one piece I wanted a size that most manufacturers don't make. If a shop said "no we can't fit that we'll have to fit one we sell" and that wasn't right for me...

If you're using an independent bike mechanic that isn't part of a shop, fill your boots and supply what you want.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited September 2022

I was debating shifting the gears to rim but didn't think the bike supported that

Errr, no, don't think I've ever seen that.
    Rim brakes, however, probably still aren't an option as at that age the frame would have been designed around disc only.