La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 21:- Las Rozas - Madrid. Paisaje de la Luz, 96.7km ***Spoilers***

Stage 21:- Las Rozas - Madrid. Paisaje de la Luz, 96.7km

Sunday, September 11, 2022
Start time: 17:10CET.
Last year the race may have had a rare change of finale, with a time trial in Santiago de Compostela but this year the traditional format returns. The 3280.5km of racing comes to an end on a flat 96.7km through the streets of Madrid that is set to be a celebration for the GC riders and a final chance at a stage victory for the sprinters.

Starting in the municipality of Las Rozas the race winds its way around and passes right through central Madrid The riders pedal to the 5.8 kilometres circuit in the centre of Spain. Four times around Paseo del Prado, Paseo de Recoletos, Calle de Alcalá and the Gran Via feature prominently on the circuit before the race ends at the Plaza de Cibeles.
The intermediate sprint is located in Madrid at 50.3km into the final day of racing, presenting a final opportunity before the line.

Final Kms.
The final five kilometres may be flat, but there are multiple sharp turns. The last hairpin comes before the one kilometre to go mark, leaving just the mildest of veers to the right.

What to Expect.
The last stage in La Vuelta is as flat as can be. So a fast finishers showdown is next to certain.

Las Rozas

Population 96,113
Las Rozas is one of the Autonomous Community of Madrid’s most-populated municipalities. Its cultural and economic importance has grown, hand-in-hand, with its commitment to sports. Besides having teams in a wide range of disciplines in all of the country’s main categories, Las Rozas is known all over Spain as the home of the national soccer team. Whether male or female, all Spanish soccer has its epicentre in the Las Rozas sports complex.

Madrid. Paisaje de la Luz

Population 3,334,730
La Vuelta will, once again, reunite with its grand finale host, par excellence. 76 stages of La Vuelta have had finales in Madrid.
In 2021, we celebrated the Jacobean Year with a spectacular time trial ending in Santiago de Compostela. This year, however, we will take part in the City of Madrid’s sporting festivities. Catalogued as the 2022 World Capital of Sport, it would be impossible to list all of Madrid’s contributions to each sports category. One of them, however, is one of our favourite traditions: the final La Vuelta podium at the emblematic Cibeles Plaza.
Madrid is the second-largest city in the European Union (EU), and its monocentric metropolitan area is the second-largest in the EU. The municipality covers 604.3 km2 (233.3 sq mi) geographical area.
Madrid lies on the River Manzanares in the central part of the Iberian Peninsula.

Typical Foods In Madrid

Huevos Rotos

Traditional Spanish cuisine is very meat-and-potatoes. Nowhere is this fact more deliciously evident than in a steaming plate of huevos rotos, which literally translates to “broken eggs.”
This typical Madrid dish is a plate of potatoes which are freshly fried in Spanish olive oil and tossed with sea salt. The potatoes are topped with perfect over-easy eggs. Depending on where you go, you’ll either break the yolks with the edge of a crusty piece of bread or your server will break them, often at the table.

Bocadillo de Calamares

No trip to Madrid is complete without tasting the city’s most famous sandwich: the bocadillo de calamares, or fried squid sandwich.

Mushrooms

Mushrooms are very popular in Madrid. Whether grilled, stuffed, or fried, you’ll likely find them in one way or another on countless tapas bar menus throughout the city.

Cordero Asado

Succulent roast lamb is a popular option for many Madrid families for Christmas Eve dinner, and a perfect warming winter meal all season long. Like most of the best typical foods in Madrid, cordero asado is quite simple, and best enjoyed as part of an hours-long weekend lunch with family, friends, and plenty of wine.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Muchos gracias as ever BS for all the thread intros.
  • Thanks again for the daily intro posts Blazing! Part of my daily grand tour ritual
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Thank you. Very useful if you are watching later in the day and want to check route etc without seeing the result!
  • Another thankyou for the threads, Blazing!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Cheers for the threads blazing ....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Seeing valverde retire makes me feel old
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I wish he kept going
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

Indeed, have really enjoyed reading them. And the cuisine (can't remember the Spanish) pics have been mouth watering. Typing as a non veggie / vegan / Daniel Friebe type 😉
  • Great threads as always - they must take some effort to put together and they are much appreciated.
  • mididoctors
    Strange race ....
  • mrb123
    The Wanty rider must be pushing the new regs with that hand position on the bars.
  • Kirby currently engaged in reading out the entire start list for the last time….
  • Hah!
    Robbie McEwen just called him out for just that!
  • orraloon
    Has / did Johansen do any time on the front for Plapp?
  • UAE 1-2?
  • Molano from Ackerman and Pedersen.
    Teunissen DvP Groves and Fred up there too.
  • orraloon
    That's 22yo Remco's fiancee? That'll end well. Prob with a financially well off lady.
  • mrb123
    orraloon said:

That's 22yo Remco's fiancee? That'll end well. Prob with a financially well off lady.

Fun while it lasts though.
  • Thanks Blazing, not watched a great deal of the first half of the race so these threads have been really useful.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Adding my thanks to Blazing for the threads. 👍
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,157
    Another vote of thanks to Blazing
  • AvV wins the Challenge by La Vuelta, and so wins the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season. Obviously various caveats to this, but nonetheless still an impressive achievement. And could win the Worlds too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,119

Hah!
    Robbie McEwen just called him out for just that!

I got the feeling a couple of stages back that McEwen was getting fed up with him. Even Kelly was starting to call him out.

I don’t know where CK works from but I notice he never features in any of Orla’s social media posts.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2022
    Pross said:

I don’t know where CK works from but I notice he never features in any of Orla’s social media posts.

I think him, Hatch and Kelly work from home generally. That way they get to do other races and other jobs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453
    Thanks for the threads @blazing_saddles
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bm5
    orraloon said:

Indeed, have really enjoyed reading them. And the cuisine (can't remember the Spanish) pics have been mouth watering. Typing as a non veggie / vegan / Daniel Friebe type 😉
    Way too much meat in Spanish cuisine.
  • bm5
    I think the summary for all the classifications is - "you have to still be in it to win it"
  • flite
    flite Posts: 224
    Thanks for setting up the threads, blazing.
    Recipe for Tecula Mecula now on the worktop....

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,119
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I think him, Hatch and Kelly work from home generally. That way they get to do other races and other jobs.
    Makes sense, I know Stephens posted a photo of himself commentating from home recently although he did say he alternates between home, Chiswick and Bath.