Intentional gap in mudguard - should I try and fill it?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,579
edited September 2022 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

my Scott Addict Gravel 30 is currently away receiving a clear wrap to protect the frame, but I took some pictures before I dropped it off.

It has Syncros mudguards, designed for this and similar Scott bikes, which fit really nicely, BUT have a cut out so the FD can be set up - or it would seem that way at any rate.

However, it looks to my eye, that a ton of road crap/water will surely get hurled at the aforesaid mentioned FD, as well as probably my leg, and the crankset.

I'm thinking about trying to fit something in the gap, either another piece of old mudguard I have knocking about, or perhaps a bit of innertube, but then for either of these things I will also need to figure out a way to fit it securely.

Perhaps either really strong glue if it's a light weight solution, or pop rivets if it's a heavier one.
I don't own a pop rivet gun yet, but am sure it would be a useful addition to the toolbox.
Or I could use a small nut and bolt with some threadlock?

Any suggestions, or recommendations before I embark on one or the other?

I won't have the bike back until the end of next week anyhow.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Does seem like a bit of a design blunder; that's definitely going to fling a load of $h1te straight into the FD. Looks like you have plenty of clearance; I'd probably stick a bit of old mudguard in there using silicone sealant.
  • daniel_b
    That's a good shout - I've ordered some new dremel cutting bits, so should be able to make a pretty good job of shaping a piece to go in there.

As you say plenty of overlap, so could use some black sealant, and have it on the inside maybe with a 1cm overlap, and then hopefully that would do the job.

Bit odd, you would think once the FD is setup, you shouldn't need to tinker with it really and worst case, just remove the mudguard.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    People have been sticking rear flaps on mudguards forever, and the usual method is a nut and bolt. Countersunk on the bottom if clearance is tight.

Filling in that gap has the potential to look like a real bodge though, so I'd only do it if you really have to, not because you think it might need it. It's a nice bike, you're getting it wrapped, and you'll have a large amount of protection from the guards even with the cut out.

Don't overthink it!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    At risk of getting splinters from sitting on the fence here, I'd ride it as is in the rain first. If the FD does get covered in crud, which I think it will, then make up a flap. A proper full length mudguard does a lot to protect the FD and I'm sure they last longer as a result.
  • daniel_b
    Yep I see the potential for making it look like a dogs dinner, but I'm hoping if it is as close to the size as possible, and made out of another mudguard with the same curve (I have some stock of broken SKS guards in the garage) that hopefully it would not stand out too much.

It will have a hard life, as it's going to be primarily a commuter covering some 80-120 miles per week, week in week out, so living where I are, a fair few of those miles will be in wet conditions.

Good call though to ride it and see how it goes, a possibility that the water may be guided as it were by the complete mudguard that is from the back of the bike, and just run down the middle and not cause any extra detritus to be spread around the FD area.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    I've also just checked, and the remnants of the sks guard I have, are in a similar matte finish, so wouldn't stand out as starkly as if it were a shiny finish.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Don’t you get crap on your FD when you use mudguards as the water is spraying off the guard where as without it’s just going to your jacksie.
    I seem to remember I get wetter feet and ankles when on my winter bike than my summer one. But that could be just as result of it being wet in winter.