La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 17: Aracena - Monasterio de Tentudía 162.3km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
edited September 2022 in Pro race
Stage 17: Aracena - Monasterio de Tentudía 162.3km

Wednesday, September 7, 2022
Start time: 13:05CET

Stage 17 travels from Aracena and Monasterio de Tentudía. A day for the attackers is the most likely scenario on the 162.3 kilometres long route with a 10.3 kilometres climb to the line. The race is played out on the hot roads of Andalucía and Extremadura.The final week of the Vuelta is less overtly mountainous than the second but contains ample opportunity for ambushes.

The two towns in the southern plains of the Extremadura region near the Portuguese border are barely 50km apart, but the route heads north and then back down on a loop of rugged terrain. It's the sort of constantly undulating stuff that doesn't throw up any major climbs but still accrues significant elevation, and just looking at the stage profile but you know it'll sap the legs. Also, this part of Spain is notorious for being extremely hot in summer.

The Climb:
The first 3 kilometres rise at almost 7% before it levels out and even descends for a bit. The dash for the top is a 4.1 kilometres dig at 7.4%.

Final Kms.

Taken from base to finish, the ascent to the monastery is 10.3 kilometres long and averages 5%, but that includes a descent in the middle.

What to Expect.
On paper, this looks like fertile ground for a breakaway, as it's much too hard for the sprinters, but offers little reward to GC riders.
However, GC hopefuls will be also need to be very much on guard: just ask Chris Froome.

Aracena

Population 8,255
In 2022, Aracena celebrates a new La Vuelta milestone. With its departure from the Province of Huelva, La Vuelta 22 will be the first edition of the Spanish Grand Tour to visit the eight Andalusian provinces. The Aracena municipality, inhabited by humans since the 10th century as demonstrated by its iconic castle, has always coexisted harmoniously with its incomparable natural setting.

The Aracena Mountain Range Natural Park, where the city is located, possesses one of the country’s richest biodiversities.
Aracena is your typical Andalucia village with its special attraction hidden underground. La Gruta de la Maravillas – or, Cave of Wonders – is subterranean complex stretches for around 2,130 metres. The network of limestone caverns is a natural underground monument with subterranean lakes, stalactites, stalagmites, and dripstone curtains.

Monasterio de Tentudía

Population 930

As part of La Vuelta’s renewed love affair with Extremadura, the Spanish Grand Tour continues to discover new locations that make up the immeasurable treasure of its territory. This year, the race will have a finish-line at the Tentudía Monastery, the spot with the highest altitude within the Province of Badajoz. This religious centre, the birthplace of legends dating back to the peninsula’s Muslim era, was built in the 13th century. Inside it, are such artistic jewels as its 16th century altarpiece.

Premium Tentudía monastery is produced by Bodegas Viña Extremadura, located in the town of Almendralejo (Badajoz). It is made with 50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 50% Syrah.
Ageing is 12 months in American oak barrels and the rest of aging in bottle

The food in Central Spain is an exotic blend of Muslim, Jewish and Christian traditions that are famed for producing a certain rustic style of cooking full of authentic Spanish flavors. There’s plenty of great food on offer in Extremadura, of which the Iberian pig, goat, and lamb dominate the menus. The traditional Extremaduran cuisine is known for its simplicity and characterful flavors, for many of which are usually prepared in large pots.

Cochifritos
Cochifritos are a typical dish from Extremadura which involves lamb or goat meat perfectly cooked and fried with olive oil, garlic, basil, vinegar, bay leaves, rosemary, and spearmint. This rural delicacy can be best enjoyed hot.

Buñuelos
Buñuelos is a popular snack in Spain, often flavored with anise, evenly rolled and shaped into fine pieces or balls, then deep fried and finished off with a sweet topping or filling. These are quite similar to the fritters, often dusted with powdered sugar and make for a delightful evening snack.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    edited September 2022
    Roglic NOT starting due to injuries in the crash.

🇪🇸 #LaVuelta22

Unfortunately, @rogla will not be at the start of stage 17 as a consequence of yesterday’s crash.

Get well soon, champion! Thank you for all the beautiful moments in this Vuelta. You had ambitious plans for the final days, but sadly it isn’t meant to be. 😔🍀 pic.twitter.com/C3Vnc8P9EO

— Team Jumbo-Visma cycling (@JumboVismaRoad) September 7, 2022
  • Damn. Roglic was all that was keeping the GC vaguely interesting. Hope he mends well and comes back stronger
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666

Damn. Roglic was all that was keeping the GC vaguely interesting. Hope he mends well and comes back stronger

Words I never thought to see together: Roglic and interesting :)
  • Well that certainly squashed my GC battle expectations.
    I can't see Mas going on a swashbuckling, all out attack.
    He'll be even more determined to lock onto Remco's rear wheel.*

(*Excluding punctures.)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    He looked pretty beat up . Not surprising I guess
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Considering the comments reported to have been made by his doctor the previous day I guess it isn't a surprise they've pulled him but they didn't seem very quick to helping him after the finish yesterday. He was just left sitting on the kerb looked dazed and staring at his cuts with no medical team around him.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    He looked so dazed that I assumed he had hit his head, but there's no hint of that in the reports?
  • Adam Blythe just ate an extra large portion of humble pie.
  • mididoctors
    Shame it was such a mega move by roglic too...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    13 man break with 7mins ..54 k left ... Fred Wright in there
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited September 2022

13 man break with 7mins ..54 k left ... Fred Wright in there

Quite a few PTPers will be happy with who made the break. Not me. 🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    Sad day
  • Uran is doing ok from it.
    It does an end of term feel to it though.
  • mididoctors
    Right tussle
  • mididoctors
    Pooe old craddock
  • mididoctors
    Uran gritting his teeth for the win
  • Camera man takes a tumble at the finish as EF swannys dash to celebrate with Uran
  • mididoctors
    Top 10 shenanigans back down the hill
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Love seeing Rigo get a win!
  • mididoctors
    Tough little climb
  • mididoctors
    Decent stage considering we lost roglic
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Has he crashed out more than G?
  • JimD666
    Fred Wright have any issues? Didn't seem to far back at 3km and then finished 10mins down.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Soler has the legs to cover attacks, but often tends to shirk quite a bit of work in the break prior to being able to cover those attacks.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    amrushton said:

Has he crashed out more than G?

Definitely crashed out more times where looked on or close to.the overall win
  • JimD666 said:

Fred Wright have any issues? Didn't seem to far back at 3km and then finished 10mins down.

Said he didn't have the best legs today and climb didn't suit him, so worked for Mäder. He'd already been dropped and came back going in to the final climb
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Said he didn't have the best legs today and climb didn't suit him, so worked for Mäder. He'd already been dropped and came back going in to the final climb
    Cheers, saw him dropped just was surprised at how far down he finished.