replace broken R550 pedals with same again?

Bought a s/h pair of these a few years ago from a fellow forumite. Couple of summers ago mid ride I found I couldn't clip in the LH pedal. Closer inspection revealed the metal pin which the rear section pivots on was working itself out of the pedal body so it was no longer attached at one side. The pin is just a press-fit and I managed to tap it back in and complete the ride. Back home I took it out again and then reassembled with some glue.

It's happened again, and this time on inspection I can see a crack in the resin pedal body around the hole the pin presses into. Either that's the reason the pin's not staying in, or it was caused by trying to clip in while the retention mechanism wasn't attached at the other end. Google suggests it's happened to a few other riders too.

Short term solution is to nick the (metal bodied) R540 pedals off the winter bike while I superglue the dodgy plastic one again.

Long term solution involves binning the now unreliable R550s, but what to replace them with?

More of the same and hope they last longer than the last pair? Trade up and splurge £80 on 105 R7000? Scour Ebay for some older alloy bodied 105 or Ultegra?

I was briefly considering some Keo compatible alloy bodied VP R75 pedals which Planet X are doing for £30, but I'm not sure I want to be faffing about with 2 different cleat systems...

Comments

• I would keep an eye out for deals on 105 or Ultegra, they seem to be one of the few components that still get hefty discounts.

I am sure I saw Ultegra at £84 somewhere a week or two ago. I have a set which have got through two winters, so around 20,000km in total with no issues.
  • Think you're right. Rest of the bike is 105 so I should treat it to an equivalent pedal. (OK, it's 10 speed and 15 years old but it all still works...)