VFM Wheelset advice please

accountdeleted
accountdeleted Posts: 49
edited September 2022 in Commuting general
Hello commuters,

I managed to get a bargain, hardly-used Triban RC500 as my new commuter (alu frame, carbon fork, disc, Sora, 8 speed). What a jump from my 80s touring steel single speed bike...

It came with the stock Decathlon "tubeless-ready" wheelset. Mixed-reviews about this. I'm thinking of getting another wheelset to swap out road commute and leisure gravel ride (nothing serious, family-ride type stuff). I'm thinking keep the stock wheelset for 35mm-ish gravel set.

For commute, I'd stick with 28mm Marathon+ that I have now, then maybe step down to Marathon, Durano Plus with less "puncture protection" for more suppleness than M+.

So what's a good value for money road / commute wheelset these days (~£300)?

Few years ago it was Aksium, Fulcrum 5 or 4; are there any other typical wheelset to consider?

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'd just avoid alu alloy nipples. Zondas are nice, can be had for £300-ish, but a bit more upmarket. My commuter now has Campag Calimas, and they are not offensive. My experience with Aksiums and commuting is poor w.r.t durability. Would avoid anywhere near the coast, or with gritted roads in the winter, covering essentially the whole of Britain.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Used Aksiums and Kyseriums for years, ne'er a problem and loads of people use them with no issues, do recommrnded.

Aksiums are particularly bombproof - literally fit and forget for years.

Also Prime, Planet X, Selcof, etc.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Cero AR24 are worth a look. Very light. I've had a pair for 4 years, covering about 3000 miles of fair weather riding and they have not missed a beat.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Merlin usually have some good deals on DT Swiss.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    DT Swiss Spline 1800. Bomb proof. Fully serviceable. In your price range.

https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-32-disc-road-wheelset-700c-125728.html

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• There was a good deal on PX the other day, Fulcrum 800s for £100.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo