New Clydesdale for 180kg rider

beanpie
beanpie Posts: 9
edited September 2022 in MTB beginners
I usually ride standard track/road bikes with custom 38 hole wheels but I want to buy an MTB asap and start riding gentle trails with my kids. There will be no thrashing (from me anyway) but I don't want to be constantly afraid that a wheel will fold/ something will snap off if I catch a little "air" off a root.

A quick Google took me to an American forum where someone mentioned the Surly Krampus/ Karate Monkey but they're over my budget. I was hoping to spend £500 used, but recognise that I might need to spend as much as £1000 (even though I'd prefer not to go that high).

Does anyone have any suggestions for bikes I should be looking at? I don't know whether I should buy rigid/HT/FS. Not sure whether I should just buy one of the trusted names from my youth and upgrade to the strongest wheels I can find?

Grateful for any bike recommendations. Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but the most recent thread I can find is from 2009 and isn't much help now. Maybe we're not using the term "Clydesdale" anymore?

Edit: Maybe this should be in MTB buying advice. Sorry, it was hard enough to ask for help, let alone make sure it was in the right place.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    38 hole? 36 is the common number.
    All you can do is look for a decent well built bike, none will be designed for your weight but the better the componentry the longer it will last.

Clydesdale refers more to a style of riding than weight, but I'll accommodate that!

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    I'd go rigid for gentle trails, usually much better vfm.
    Be careful with the well-known brands from your youth. Some good brand names have been sold on to high volume producers with the quality compromised.
  • Rigid Genesis Tarn 10 ?

Should be within budget used, mine is a bit of a tank. Other Tarn models have suspension forks if wanted.

I don't know if it'll handle the weight but it feels like it should - it's a heavy beast but I enjoy riding mine.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Thanks DeVlaeminck. Someone recommended a Trek Marlin 7 from personal experience so I jumped straight on a used 2021.
    The stock Rockshox Judy is too soft for me so I'm currently looking for a strong rigid fork that complements the bike's look.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Exotic Aluminium, £108
    29er, 100mm suspension corrected and PM brake mounts.
    https://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?p=1765&#Yellow_Buy_Box
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited October 2022
    I'm a Clydesdale class rider (even more so recently ) , and have broken numerous "normal" bike frames and wheels before.

Kona Hoss (including the Dee lux upgraded version) bikes, a 26" hardtail, were specifically designed at this class - i'm still riding my 2007 version and only replaced the wheels with a set of handbuilts as the hubs gave up.

You still find them cropping up on ebay now and again (i.e this one sold in sept and this one still available

I'm really not shy about celebrating my kona - it's a tank, but according to my garmin have now done over 50,000 km on it... and is still the first bike i pull out of the garage when i want a bit of fun, because it's more reliable than any other bike i have ( Yes, i still moan about it of course, and it needs a new front shock, and i'd like 29" wheels...)

Yes, it's old, yes, it's therefore cheap... but.

edit:Slapped myself with a wet fish.. you've already got a bike, and it's just rookie recommending a fork set. Do'h.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...